Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone

I have not buy a suit in ages and got one yesterday. Now at home, I see that the shoulders has some kind of wavy fit. Is this a normal thing? or every suit should have a flat fit in this area? You can see this effect better in the second picture

Thanks very much for your help

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It looks like the wavy area is on the chest just below the top of the shoulder as opposed to straight across the shoulder. It looks to me like this jacket has padded shoulders and the padding material extends down the front of the suit a bit and that is where the padding is wrinkled under the jacket material. Does it look wavy like that when its on a hanger?

·
Registered
81 Posts
To add to the OP's question:

How much space should there be between the point at which your shoulder meets your arm (i.e. the point of your body that extends beyond your actual "shoulder bone"--what I guess we would consider the real end of our shoulders for measuring purposes) and the terminus of the jacket's shoulder's itself?

I have a couple of jackets where, perhaps thanks to the shoulder pads, there is about an exta half inch or so of space between the end of my shoulders and the end of the jacket's shoulders, and I can't say I much like the look. It has had me wondering if these jackets are a tad too big (and if I should have bought them in a 39 or 38 instead of a 40).

Is this a sizing/fit issue, as I suspect, or is it more the difference between a suit with serious shoulder pads and a more soft shouldered fit?

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you have a wider than average head, having a little extra width to your shoulders might work out well. If you have an average to smaller sized head, then more natural shoulders tend to look better. I'd recommend that you go to a store and try on some jackets of varying widths to find the 'optimal' width for your head width, shoulder width and height. It's a question of proportion and while there are some general rules of thumb, it's best to try it and learn to see it for yourself.

You'll have the right width when your head, shoulders and overall look seem to coordinate versus any one of those dimensions 'standing out' and looking out of whack.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Shoulders are a tricky business. Its hard to make general rules because shoulders in coats are so individual. Some are "natural" and have minimal padding and end right at the natural shoulder. Others are more built up and extended and not supposed to end at the shoulder. There are different "looks" in suits and sport coats, and differences also in how tightly they are worn. Picking what you like is the answer. The others are not "wrong", just not right for you. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like the wavy area is on the chest just below the top of the shoulder as opposed to straight across the shoulder. It looks to me like this jacket has padded shoulders and the padding material extends down the front of the suit a bit and that is where the padding is wrinkled under the jacket material. Does it look wavy like that when its on a hanger?
Thanks for your help, no, it does not look wavy on a hanger

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much space should there be between the point at which your shoulder meets your arm (i.e. the point of your body that extends beyond your actual "shoulder bone"--what I guess we would consider the real end of our shoulders for measuring purposes) and the terminus of the jacket's shoulder's itself?

I have a couple of jackets where, perhaps thanks to the shoulder pads, there is about an exta half inch or so of space between the end of my shoulders and the end of the jacket's shoulders, and I can't say I much like the look. It has had me wondering if these jackets are a tad too big (and if I should have bought them in a 39 or 38 instead of a 40).

Is this a sizing/fit issue, as I suspect, or is it more the difference between a suit with serious shoulder pads and a more soft shouldered fit?
Is only less than an inch space, so I think the fit is ok, it is more about the difference between a suit with serious shoulder pads and a more soft shouldered fit I guess

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.