Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of BB made in England bucks that I am not quite sure what to do with. I got them cheap on Ebay, under $30 and I asked for size measurements before buying. They were on the small side but were close to a pair of athletic shoes I have. After getting them I noticed what I am guessing is damage to the upper which I had not seen in the listing pictures. I also found that the shoes are tight but I can get in them.

I am considering sending them off to be resoled but I wonder if I am just throwing money at the problem. I guess getting the bucks stretched before getting them resoled would answer the question of if they will fit me. Though that would be a waste of money if the damage to the upper prevents resoling.

So my question to you fine gentlemen is if these were your shoes would the damage to the upper prevent you from getting them resoled?

Food Baked goods Cuisine Wood Ingredient

Hair Hairstyle Cap Headgear Chemical compound

Eyewear Beige Pattern Fashion accessory Metal

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Jeez Louise, this feels like a deja vu moment. That pair of Bucks looks so familiar? Other than what appears to be a really bad previous resoling attempt, the uppers look pretty solid. Have you asked a cobbler for their professional assessment?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I took them to the local cobbler and he said that they were a quality pair of shoes and that they needed to be resoled. He could do it but was unsure if he could get similar soles. The shop does mostly leather dress soles I think. He never mentioned the condition of the uppers but I don't think he was paying much attention to them.

I could ask him specifically about the uppers if I take the shoes in to be stretched.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't have any experience with ebay, but it would seem to me that if deficiencies with the shoes weren't disclosed, you should be within your right to a refund.
Also, don't forget about the fact that you mentioned the shoes are tight. My vote is to try and get your money back, but if that fails don't throw good money after bad trying to stretch the shoe and resole it. Take the $30 hit and move on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have any experience with ebay, but it would seem to me that if deficiencies with the shoes weren't disclosed, you should be within your right to a refund.
Also, don't forget about the fact that you mentioned the shoes are tight. My vote is to try and get your money back, but if that fails don't throw good money after bad trying to stretch the shoe and resole it. Take the $30 hit and move on.
I could get a refund if I complained I think but I paid $20 for the shoes and $8.75 in shipping. So I would only be getting $11.25 back. Which I am not really sure is worth the hassle. But you hit on my worry that I will wind up spending $150 to have the shoes resoled and stretched only to wind up with a pair of unwearable shoes.

If I do get the bucks resoled I am planning on using B. Nelson. I actually need to email them to see how closely the can match the factory soles.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You'd be much better off putting that $150 towards a brand new pair of well fitting bucks.

Shoes should fit well right out of the box. I've learned this lesson the hard way. Any fit I thought was "close enough" wound up in the back of the closet after a few wearings.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have decided to send the shoes off to B. Nelson for resoling. I have small feet 7.5 D to be precise which makes finding shoes that fit difficult. Which I think is part of the problem since I am use to my shoes being a half size or a full size too big and I am not accustom to shoes hugging my feet. I think after wearing the shoes for a while they will fit quite well.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sell them on ebay. That is what the last guy did to get rid of them. be honest, say they didn't fit you, and disclose the damage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.