Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I not use the liquid polish that I got from Allen Edmonds to shine my walnut Dalton boots? It doesn't cover the scuffs on the toes and heels, and I just read the tutorial on show polishing on the home page tha says not to use liquid polishes.

That said, I would have assumed they would provide the correct polish??

·
Registered
14,999 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Should I not use the liquid polish that I got from Allen Edmonds to shine my walnut Dalton boots? It doesn't cover the scuffs on the toes and heels, and I just read the tutorial on show polishing on the home page tha says not to use liquid polishes.

That said, I would have assumed they would provide the correct polish??
Buy some Tarrago brand shoe cream in the appropriate shade. It will cover the scuffs. Though if they're really deep, you may need to rub it into the scratch with a Q-tip, and then buff. Repeat the process until it's gone.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I've been using AE's tubes of cream polish for many years and it has served me (and my AE shoes) well. However, as Flanderian suggests, you may be using the wrong tool to cover deep scuffs and scrapes in the finish of your shoes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been using AE's tubes of cream polish for many years and it has served me (and my AE shoes) well. However, as Flanderian suggests, you may be using the wrong tool to cover deep scuffs and scrapes in the finish of your shoes.
Thanks everyone. I guess being a clumsy geologist is not condusive to fashion shoes!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL!
If you really are a clumsy geologist, you might want to look at a boot like Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill in natural CXL leather. That's a pretty easy leather to take care of, and looks even better with age and use.
My wife gave me a pair of the long branch boots for Christmas (black). So far they seem to be holding up pretty well, even with the snow we're getting here in VT. (I don't wear them to shovel, but the walk from my truck to the office in salt snow sludge can't be avoided. I'll need more can conditioner soon.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And yes, I am a geologist (hydrogeologist to be exact) although at 61, I don't do a lot of field work any more. Fine by me this week with the below zero (f) temps we have been having since before Christmas.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've been use the AE polish with no problems. I'm sure there are better polishes out there, but I'm also not that picky.

On a side note, I almost got the Daltons last year, but ended up getting the Higgins Mill and they are definitely one of my favorite casual boots to wear, especially in the colder months. Only thing is you're not supposed to use regular polish on them. I got some stuff from the Hanger Project that works pretty well on them, though.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My wife gave me a pair of the long branch boots for Christmas (black). So far they seem to be holding up pretty well, even with the snow we're getting here in VT. (I don't wear them to shovel, but the walk from my truck to the office in salt snow sludge can't be avoided. I'll need more can conditioner soon.
The Long Branch is another good choice.
After I suggested the Higgins Mill, I thought about the Long Branch. I even considered going back and editing my response to include that one as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.