Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always thought of grey as a neutral color that can be worn with either black or brown for a decent look if you're too lazy to pick a more dynamic color to compliment black or brown (I'd never wear black with brown or tan/khaki), though I've run into a lot of people online who say that wearing grey with brown is a fashion faux pas because grey is "a shade of black" or something like that. On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen men who say that they only wear brown shoes with grey suits. Right now I was about to go out wearing a brown suede jacket, brown loafers, grey jeans and a grey striped shirt. Probably not the most exiting look out there but I didn't think think it clashed and the outfit colors match my hair and skin color (dark brown hair and light skin). Any opinions?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I've always thought of grey as a neutral color that can be worn with either black or brown for a decent look
I use the same rule with my grey suit, brown or black shoes. Whereas the black suit is worn with black shoes and navy with brown shoes.

though I've run into a lot of people online who say that wearing grey with brown is a fashion faux pas because grey is "a shade of black" or something like that.
You get some people who only wear black shoes with their suits

On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen men who say that they only wear brown shoes with grey suits.
That is more of a modern look and something that is probably suggested on 'Queer Eye for a Straight Guy' and men's mags. You get some people who tend to wear brown.

Right now I was about to go out wearing a brown suede jacket, brown loafers, grey jeans and a grey striped shirt. Probably not the most exiting look out there but I didn't think think it clashed and the outfit colors match my hair and skin color (dark brown hair and light skin). Any opinions?
In my opinion, the only thing that could go wrong with the 'look' is if the jeans had a striped design - it may then seem as if there is a mirror at your waist.

Otherwise - good look.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
The subject of wearing brown with grey, particularly brown shoes with grey pants or suits, has come up several times before. Most of the folks in this forum like that combination. I don't. I think that brown looks mismatched with grey and much prefer black or burgandy.

Personally I limit my brown shoes to wear with jeans and khakis. With suits or dress pants I wear burgandy in those situations that I might otherwise wear brown if I didn't consider brown to be so casual looking, tan or navy pants being examples.

It's a matter of personal preference.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I will mix all the colors you mention on occasion, including black and brown.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
There are so many different shades of both of those colors. Black and dark brown shoes both look good with charcoal and medium gray pants/suit. I prefer black. I don't really don't like light brown or chilli with medium gray or charcoal. With really light summer gray pants, light tan shoes look great.
I don't think I could get myself to leave my house mixing black and brown, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Not brave enough to try black and brown myself, but if you know how to pull it off, more power to you.
Black trousers, medium brown captoes, brown houndstooth sportcoat with black undertones, white shirt, gold and brown tie. Looks pretty darn good! (and I've gotten compliments on the ensemble).

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
"Originally Posted by Casablanca
On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen men who say that they only wear brown shoes with grey suits."
That is more of a modern look and something that is probably suggested on 'Queer Eye for a Straight Guy' and men's mags. You get some people who tend to wear brown.
It's modern only if you are willing to include Fred Astaire in the modernist column.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
You betcha!

As often as possible!

Though care must be given to pairings. Brown can be many different colors, as can gray. Many grays will contain blues. Many browns will have rust, red, yellow, black of even magenta casts to them.

I have a dark brown Harris Tweed jacket. Works great with my charcoal gray flannels, but not the mid gray ones. But the mid gray nicely compliment my tan herringbone Harris.

Of course, Harris Tweed is a picked example since many different color yarns are added to create an overall color, but the same is also true for less complex fabrics.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Won't "Let Brown do it!"

I don't particularly like a flat out brown for clothing or shoes. I prefer reddish-brown tones. Some of the shoes in the russet range I have worn with lighter grays, especially if there's a pattern with some other color running through it, like a micro pinstripe red or burgundy.

I have worn black trousers with natural tan camel's hair sport coats, and I think that looks sharp, but I wouldn't wear gray with a plain brown. Brick to russet to burgundy looks good to me with grays. I think this is a preference area rather than something that should be governed by "rules."

·
Registered
298 Posts
My personal opinion

I always lump brown,tan,ecru, and off white together. I then lump black,grey, and silver(aka. kings oxford) This is the base netural colors I start with to build a outfit for the day.Two exceptions to break my own rule, One was touched on already,If I am wearing any of my six harris tweed jackets, I will wear whatever colors that are lurking about in the tweed. My other sure fire rule of thumb is if I can find a tie with 2 or 3 colors I will build upoon that. I would never have thought that one could wear gold and gray together until I found a tie with said colors and wound up with a edgy yet very presentable outfit.One more thing, my father in law says that brown shoes can be worn with anything because brown is the naturally occuring state of leather. Any thoughts on that?

Cosmo:drunken_smilie:

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The question should be "can" gray be worn with brown, and the answer is absolutely.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.