Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortening the length of wool overcoat by going to a good (bespoke) tailor

How feasible is this?

Would a coat naturally a few inches shorter have the same positioning of buttons, pockets etc?
Or would the positioning of pockets, button stance be different depending on the length of coat?

Or is the only difference in the length of the body?

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^+1.

SG_67 has hit the nail on the head...you are going to end up with a garment that just looks off. Alas, while the "ugly duckling" may be able to evolve into the "beautiful swan," reversing the process would result in your having nothing more than another ugly duckling (or an awkwardly short overcoat of unbalanced dimensions)! LOL. ;)

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
The best thing to do is go buy the overcoat you actually want, not try to transform the overcoat you don't want into the overcoat you want. As others have said, quite correctly, you can't modify garments without screwing them up badly. I know there's a clothier who posts here sometimes who claims that it's possible, but it's not. Sell the coat you have and put the money towards the coat you want.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I like the look of a full-length overcoat. It’s traditional and classic.

Aggro: As they say over at the National Review, “kick it old school.”

I like Doctor Damage’s advice to simply buy the coat you actually want.

On the other hand: What’s the temperature in New York City today? A bit nippy? Are you sure you want less fabric protecting your legs?

Keep the coat as is. And later, when you have a few character lines on your face, buy a fedora. A good one, made of fur felt.

A full-length overcoat, a fedora, and New York City: what a trifecta.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
I agree with Charles and part of DocD’s advice.

Why on earth would anyone want to shorten such a precious, useful, and rare thing as a true full length overcoat. Look at the one Crusty is sporting in his WWYWT pics. He certainly doesn’t skimp on his clothing, and has other coats to choose from. Yet on a frigid NYC day, he pulls out that delightful camel coat, to look sharp, and stay warm.

Buy the coat you want. But do not sell the full length overcoat. It’s rare enough to find a full length coat nowadays. Save it, store it properly, then use it and be glad you have it when the time comes that you will appreciate it. There’s nothing quite like the feeling of wearing a nice suit and a 54+ inch overcoat to put a swagger in your step, and warmth around your knees.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Shortening the length of wool overcoat by going to a good (bespoke) tailor

How feasible is this?

Would a coat naturally a few inches shorter have the same positioning of buttons, pockets etc?
Or would the positioning of pockets, button stance be different depending on the length of coat?

Or is the only difference in the length of the body?
The buttons, pockets and vent of an overcoat are placed in relation to your arms/hands/waist; it wouldn't make much sense to drastically lower any of them just because the bottom of the coat was longer, otherwise you would reach to your knees for your pockets. In most cases you can shorten the coat without any problems.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The overcoats (or is it a topcoat? I truly don't know the correct name for a coat worn over a suit in cold weather - and not one that only goes to the middle of your thighs) that I have owned have been knee length, and like most other commenters here, I can't fathom why you would try to shorten an overcoat. Unlike OP, I have been looking for a longer than knee length (say mid-calf or more) wool coat (simple - single breasted, notched lapel, flap pockets, navy or black) but I haven't been able to find one, except for seeing some online, with shaky reviews, and I am loath to buy such an article without being able to feel the fabric, look at the stitching, and try it on. Didn't mean to hijack the thread here, but the comments in response to the original post give me hope that some poster in the thread may have a suggestion for a retailer, online or brick an mortar, that I should investigate. But like most others here, I agree that shortening a coat will not end well.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
A topcoat is lighter and shorter than an overcoat. Topcoats generally are no longer than the knee and overcoats are generally no shorter than the knee. Finding an overcoat for sale today is a rarity. Topcoats dominate current fashion.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
In most cases you can shorten the coat without any problems.
Newer members may not know the author of the quote above. I quake to be in the same thread. A good quake though. Would that he'd post more often. Reel back 10 years and check out his work here...

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/threads/canvas-half-canvas-etc-explained.86160/

...and as Jeff has said, of course you can shorten an overcoat, and with no ill effects. One reason is, unlike shortening a suit jacket or blazer, there is no rounded cut-away to recreate. It's a squared-off hem, zoom, zoom. Bonus: lose three-inches and you've enough to make a belt. Groovy, no?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The exact topcoat you are looking for is what I have (I am the OP).
It's everything you describe...and has concealed fastening buttons.

Polo Ralph Lauren "Howard" (made by Corneliani) in Navy.
Size 'Long' - below knee.
My one is 100% cashmere.
But I understand it's also available in 100% Wool.

The overcoats (or is it a topcoat? I truly don't know the correct name for a coat worn over a suit in cold weather - and not one that only goes to the middle of your thighs) that I have owned have been knee length, and like most other commenters here, I can't fathom why you would try to shorten an overcoat. Unlike OP, I have been looking for a longer than knee length (say mid-calf or more) wool coat (simple - single breasted, notched lapel, flap pockets, navy or black) but I haven't been able to find one, except for seeing some online, with shaky reviews, and I am loath to buy such an article without being able to feel the fabric, look at the stitching, and try it on. Didn't mean to hijack the thread here, but the comments in response to the original post give me hope that some poster in the thread may have a suggestion for a retailer, online or brick an mortar, that I should investigate. But like most others here, I agree that shortening a coat will not end well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.