Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a longstanding gripe, but has anyone else noticed it's now become almost impossible to buy an off-the-peg jacket of a sensible length? Even Ralph Lauren at House of Fraser seem to have succumbed to the trend for stupidly short jackets.

Maybe it's my age, but I really do feel everyone looks so much better if the buttocks are covered.

I'm starting to wonder if my next jacket (which I am looking to purchase imminently) will have to be made to measure. Or can anyone recommend a retailer this side of the Pond that still sells jackets that don't make you look like the Principal Boy in a pantomime?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your in London,..... Cordings, New & Lingwood, Ede & Ravenscroft. Gieves & Hawkes, the suits and jackets I've purchased from them are of sufficient length.
Yes, you're probably right, though I was hoping to go for something a bit cheaper. Cordings more tweedy than what I'm looking for: a summer jacket. N&L a little too outré. Think I'll give Harvie and Hudson a whirl.

But I'm still fed up that the mainstream retailers seemingly have all gone down the teen-weeny jacket route.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Indeed, while O'Connell's brick and mortar location is in Buffalo, NY, they have sold me (I think) five suits, three sport coats, a G9 Baracuta jacket, two or three shirts and several pair of chinos. Some day I may just get around to making a road trip to Buffalo. ;)

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Any idea what the import duty would be?
I don't think it would be worth it when you have a number of traditional brands left in London. To purchase a suit overseas without being able to try it on would incur high shipping costs, especially if you need to return it. This forum is American-focused, which is why you are seeing all the support for O'Connell's.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I apologize if this is now off-topic but another big thumbs up for O'Connell's. Next time I'm down in Buffalo I intend to visit their store. I imagine its like Disneyland for folks like us who appreciate classic men's style (including proper length jackets!) Its nice to be just a two hour drive away. I have purchased items online from them though, including a summer weight navy blazer by Southwick. I agree you should be able to locate similar offerings in the U.K. though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.