Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen,
Once again, I solicit your advice. I'm in need of a new pair of shoes to wear regularly with the familiar blue blazer and grey trouser uniform. I'm thinking of shell cordovan tassel loafers, but am not sure. What's your advice?
As always, my sincere thanks.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
They would be a great choice. I think any burgundy or brown shoe is good provide it is at least a bit casual. Any lace-ups should have some brouging for example, nothing overly austere.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Hello gentlemen,
Once again, I solicit your advice. I'm in need of a new pair of shoes to wear regularly with the familiar blue blazer and grey trouser uniform. I'm thinking of shell cordovan tassel loafers, but am not sure. What's your advice?
As always, my sincere thanks.
It might be more difficult to find shoes that you can't pair with that combination, than those you can. Do wish to be able to wear them with other outfits?

Shell #8 color tassel loafers would be a handsome classic choice that could be worn with many other items as well. I personally don't care for shell however, and prefer calfskin for comfort, breathability and appearance.

Another choice I'd like would be a dark or medium brown single monk strap in calfskin. And while I love brown suede shoes of all sorts, brogues, monk straps, slip-ons, I have learned they're not the best in wet weather. So if you wish to maximize how often you can wear them, calf or shell might be a better choice.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I calibrate this to the rest of the blazer & slack combo's accessorization.

If I'm wearing my typical choice of dark-gray trousers and a spread-collar shirt (perhaps w/ French cuffs), I might wear captoe oxfords or wingtips in either black or a dark-brown/mahogany colorway.

If I'm accesorizing the blazer less formally, say by wearing an ocbd and lighter-gray trousers, I might wear loafers, either Weejun-style or Goodyear-welted.

For wear with my DB blazers and dark-gray trousers, lately I've been favoring my black Alden monkstraps.

The blazer is a highly versatile garment. Like a trenchcoat, it can be dressed up or dressed down. Shoe choice should vary between the more and less formal accordingly.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Shell cordovan tassel loafers would be a perfect choice for wear with a navy blazer and grey slacks! Burgundy or oxblood longwings or penny loafers would also be great choices. ;)

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I think brown shoes look best with that combo. When I am wearing a navy blazer and gray trousers, I normally wear (in order of preference):

*AE brown Thayers (monk strap)
*AE brown suede Hancocks (bluchers)
*Alden brown suede Cape Cod bit loafers
*Cole Haan black calf bit loafers

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I agree with the brown or oxblood color shoes. Never black.

A couple of other items. Apparently you shouldn't wear this traditional American casual uniform in England. Also, my rule is to avoid white shirts with such a casual outfit. I tend toward lighter color button downs when I wear the "uniform."

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I wear black bridle bit Bally loafers with that "uniform" generally. I know, "Black, how boring."

My recommendation would be cognac penny loafers. I think burgundy or other red-dominated shoe colors to be a bit overpowering with the grey trousers, and having the effect of overbalancing the shoes to the point of making a two-color outfit into a three-color one (leaving aside any shirt, tie, or pocket square additions).

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
On the black vs brown shoe thing, my choice tends to vary with the shade of gray that characterizes the trousers. Mid to lighter grays, definitely brown shoes; darker to very dark grays (which I tend to wear more often), more likely black shoes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.