Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed on this forum before but a quick search did not give me what I was looking for.

I'm looking for a pair of shoes to wear with jeans. I'd wear these shoes on Saturdays and Sundays for casual wear (not clubs or fancy restaurants).

I don't like the really slim profile shoes because I look like an NFL quarterback so the slim profile shoes look too small on me. So I need a shoe with a medium to large profile.

I'd like to be able to wear these shoes with a sport shirt or a t-shirt. I prefer the color black.

Do AAAC'ers have any perennial favorites along the lines of what I'm looking for?

· Registered
2,633 Posts
I wear jeans infrequently but I will offer an opinion. You want a large profile, look for somethings like this:

Beefroll penny loafer
Desert Boot
Chukka boot
Rubber soled shoe
Nice outdoor hiking shoe (Merril or Vaque have some nice ones)

Good luck...or you could just get some Chucks and be done with it (Converse Chuck Taylor Allstars) or even Jack Purcell Converse.

· Registered
6 Posts
Why's everyone obsessed with wearing jeans?
I would say out of necessity.

In my personal experience, the industry I work in and the social group I mostly associate simply doesn't dress up. If any of my friends owned a single dress shirt that wasn't purchased at the Gap, I would be shocked.

Additionally, If I had a nickel for every time I was asked "Do you have a meeting today?" or "Where did YOU come from?" because I bothered to put on a shirt with buttons, I would could buy myself dinner once a month.

I've just learned to accept that I just can't wear dress pants, a button up shirt and a tie in every social situation being a 27 year old urbanite.

· Registered
1,947 Posts

In my personal experience, the industry I work in and the social group I mostly associate simply doesn't dress up. If any of my friends owned a single dress shirt that wasn't purchased at the Gap, I would be shocked.

Additionally, If I had a nickel for every time I was asked "Do you have a meeting today?" or "Where did YOU come from?" because I bothered to put on a shirt with buttons, I would could buy myself dinner once a month.

I've just learned to accept that I just can't wear dress pants, a button up shirt and a tie in every social situation being a 27 year old urbanite.
+1. Perfectly said.

· Registered
409 Posts

Undoubtedly true and inherently sad.

· Registered
62 Posts
I'm not a fan of black with denim myself, but, keeping your preference in mind, I'd suggest three beautiful, but not cheap options from Alden of Carmel: the Black Norwegian-front boot or the AF83 chukka or the AF76 high boot. To get eh cost down, call the Shoe Mart and ask what Alden boots they have in black in your size in seconds/imperfect.

· Registered
219 Posts
I'm not an expert. But I think low sheen black leather shoes always look good with jeans. Timberland makes a lace up model that look nice. Nordstroms carries it. So if you don't like it, take them back. I stopped wearing sneakers, athletic shoes awhile back.

· Registered
1,876 Posts
There are many options. The first would be a suede/dirty buck. Here's one from J Crew. The honey brown would look best I think.

https://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Me...y/shoes/loafersoxfords/PRDOVR~67335/67335.jsp

Then there's the ever popular penny loafer. I have a pair in brown from Cole Haan collection, and a few others from John Varvatos, Ferragamo, and Brooks Brothers. One of my favorite shoes to wear with jeans is a very large, double soled black pebble grain longwing, made by Alden for Black Fleece. Here they are with a pair of khakis:

Then there's the boot, here are some Grenson chukka boots that I wear with jeans:

And the Alden Indy boot:

· Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wear Adidas Stan Smith shoes. They are a rubber soled sneaker with leather uppers. I bought mine at Zappos.

[/URL]

As for questions about jeans, why not? A man can be well dressed and still have a place in his wardrobe for jeans that he wears for things other than manual labor. :icon_smile:

Cruiser[/quote]

These shoes would look pretty cheap on an NFL quarterback, but perfectly fine on a guy who's 5'8" or 5'9" (man, it's expensive to be tall)

· Registered
1,387 Posts
Many of the responses to this thread have been spot on. I must, however, offer my own response. While I agree that various boots, longwings, and pennies are perfect for jeans, I must offer up the Clark Wallabee. It's a fantastic shoe thats comfortable as well as stylish in a trad/hippie way. They have a great gum sole (that is almost perfect in any condition other than ice), are cheap and durable, and are comfortable as can be... - I recommend them highly...

· Registered
196 Posts
I'd suggest a pair of RM Williams. I think they always look great with jeans - well that's basically what they were made for. They can be worn for formal or casual, and I think one of the more rounded toe models would fit the bill.

· Registered
526 Posts
I must offer up the Clark Wallabee. It's a fantastic shoe thats comfortable as well as stylish in a trad/hippie way.
I'm having flashbacks to 1976 when I was a senior in high school. I thought those long hair, psychodelic, dope smoking days were gone for good. The Wallabee just reminds me of it all over again. That's why I sent my son to a Jesuit high school.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.