Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Site Creator
11,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Border Patrol stopped an undocumented man at the Indio Greyhound station because his 'shoes looked suspicious'

In February, a 32-year-old undocumented man was waiting to board a bus at the Indio Greyhound station when U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents allegedly detained him and questioned him about his immigration status.

They told him they stopped him because his "shoes looked suspicious," like someone who had recently crossed the border, according to Eva Bitran, a staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California. She said he was wearing "normal shoes," but at least one of the shoe's laces were untied.

MORE

·
Registered
93 Posts
Semi off topic but I'm sitting in the Newark Delta Skyclub right now and they flagged my carry on wanting to check the shoe trees in the AEs I brought. It was kinda funny actually she didn't know what they were, "we want to take a look at the things inside your shoes".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Semi off topic but I'm sitting in the Newark Delta Skyclub right now and they flagged my carry on wanting to check the shoe trees in the AEs I brought. It was kinda funny actually she didn't know what they were, "we want to take a look at the things inside your shoes".

Tell the truth; you're really Rosa Klebb.

·
Registered
777 Posts
How can shoes be suspicious? Unless you've had something hidden in them to make them look suspicious, maybe he should've worn sandals instead or something other than shoes.
I think that's just a LEO making up a needed excuse to question someone.

Then again, close to the border, the 4A almost doesn't exist legally, so maybe I'm wrong? Maybe the man's shoes were really beat up and ragged out?

While I am obviously not in that man's situation, my own experiences with customs people have always been (with the weird exception of Canada!) that they are bored and don't care. Then again, as a decently dressed caucasian gentleman of about middle age, I'm probably the exact profile of boring they know they don't need to be suspicious of.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts

I too fell under the scrutiny of the U.S. Government. Found guilty of purchasing suspicious shoes! My U.S. bound English shoes were intercepted by U.S. Customs and held pending an investigation of suspicious leather!

"Say, Jethro, what kind a leather is these? I ain't never seen no bumpy leather like this before!"

The happy ending: nice folks at Customs send me a card with their penetrating inquiry, "What kind of leather are these?" I write "Cow" and mail it back. Less than a week later, the Fedex man rings my doorbell. Now if they had asked, how come these shoes are so bodacious lookin', that, I would have understood! :confused:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I too fell under the scrutiny of the U.S. Government. Found guilty of purchasing suspicious shoes! My U.S. bound English shoes were intercepted by U.S. Customs and held pending an investigation of suspicious leather!

"Say, Jethro, what kind a leather is these? I ain't never seen no bumpy leather like this before!"

The happy ending: nice folks at Customs send me a card with their penetrating inquiry, "What kind of leather are these?" I write "Cow" and mail it back. Less than a week later, the Fedex man rings my doorbell. Now if they had asked, how come these shoes are so bodacious lookin', that, I would have understood! :confused:
Looks like an endangered species to me!

·
Registered
777 Posts

What brand and model are those?

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
What brand and model are those?
They are Sanders & Sanders Reggie model built on their M265 last from their casual range. I can't find it listed as a current model, and have read allusions to their being a Mark McNasty (McNairy ;)) model, though I purchased from a different vendor. I believe it may be discontinued.

They have a current model in the same leather, though it's a full brogue and has a red Ridgeway sole. Surprisingly, the toe of the Reggie takes a marvelous shine with little effort.

Indeed! How many footballs were killed to get the hides for those shoes member Flanderian? LOL. ;)
MOO!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.