Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

A few weeks ago I purchased a suit that was described as charcoal brown. Its a very very dark brown, nearly black, in fact. I'm wondering what shoes would pair the best with it.

I've wore it with black shoes and it looks alright. The problem is that with black shoes, the suit looks nearly black but a bit "off" when compared to the shoes which are truly black.

I was wondering if a medium brown would work well and might bring out some of the brown tones in the suit.

I would definitely appreciate any suggestions on shoes which would pair well with as well as maybe shirt or tie colors which would bring out the brown tones. (I was thinking maybe a blue shirt?)

Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Brown shoes should work fine. Which shade of brown is another matter since brown can be many different colors as your suit demonstrates. Words can't convery the color of your suit, and neither can any recommendation tell you what color shoe was intended. I'd suggest you wear your suit to a shoe store and see what shades of brown work with it. Alternately, or in addition, if you have any catalogs with shoes, you might wish to do the same thing. You could try to find complimentary shoes on-line also, but monitors are often false.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Any shade of brown or Dark Brown would look good. I would not wear black for the reasons you have given. As stated above oxblood or a dark marron or bordeaux.

Shirts: Light blue, pink, ecru, any stripe in the olive or brown family would look good.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
^ agreed. If it is truly all brown, avoid black.

I happen to be wearing a Loro Piana fabric today that is a ground of charcoal gray with a woven brown strip of maybe 1/4 inch plus a subtle dbl pin in the same brown. I've found brown and black shoes both do OK with it but brown in just about any shade is teh winner and chili/warmer downs really look great against it.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Something like the suede shoe here I think would work well (assuming you're OK with pairing suede with business apparel):

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey,

A few weeks ago I purchased a suit that was described as charcoal brown. Its a very very dark brown, nearly black, in fact. I'm wondering what shoes would pair the best with it.

I've wore it with black shoes and it looks alright. The problem is that with black shoes, the suit looks nearly black but a bit "off" when compared to the shoes which are truly black.

I was wondering if a medium brown would work well and might bring out some of the brown tones in the suit.

I would definitely appreciate any suggestions on shoes which would pair well with as well as maybe shirt or tie colors which would bring out the brown tones. (I was thinking maybe a blue shirt?)

Thanks so much.
Any shade of brown or Dark Brown would look good. I would not wear black for the reasons you have given. As stated above oxblood or a dark marron or bordeaux.

Shirts: Light blue, pink, ecru, any stripe in the olive or brown family would look good.
I know exactly what you are describing.I have a wool suit and depending on light conditions its either dark brown or charcoal.I agree with Tony P on shirt colors. Believe it or not a med russet shirt looked good with a
bronze/burgandy tie with the shade of my suit.I know it sounds awful but i pulled it off.
Cheers, Cosmo:drunken_smilie:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I don't like the dull look of suede but disagree that it is restricted to casual.
Cary, thats why rules are meant to be broken. I wear my suede shoes all the time. During the day I will wear a brown suede Captoe as pictured above. I just think that if you are going to wear one particular shoe to start then a calf in brown would be my first choice. If you have lots of choices than a suede oxford is nice as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.