Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have really just been lurking on the forums trying to glean knowledge from people far more experienced than I. I am fairly young, so I do have quite a lot to learn. Here's my honest question however: Can you really go wrong with a shoe like Church's?

I have read through the most overrated topic, and I have seen many shoe makers named as being overrated including EG to some and Church's for what they produce. Now, let's say I can find a shoe by Church's that fits well, that I find comfortable, and that I love the style of, is there really a way to go wrong there? Even if I pay full retail price is there really a problem with the quality of the shoe? I am assuming I can get them recrafted as with any high-quality leather soled shoe, and that, in the long run, they will prove their worth. I may be wrong, so if I am, please correct me. I'm here to learn more than anything.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Church is now owned by the Prada corp. They are not know for making good quality shoes, only expensive design shoes. Having said that, I think that if you get the higher end church shoes you have a very good product. They make several different shoes in different leathers and different construction that look similar. So be careful.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It doesn't sound like you've ever worn a decent pair pair of shoes...

Church's make great shoes which can last a long time. It's a matter of choice, but many disike the "polished binder" leather, and I would recommend you stick to calf.

If you are after decent shoes, and considering your location, I'd try the P Lal website. It's not clear what type of shoe you are looking for though. Crockett and Jones handgrades are very good quality Northampton made shoes, that should give you many years of great service. I would probably go for the handgrades over Church's.

As for EG being over-rated, you certainly have that wrong. They are seriously well made shoes, which are unlikely to be beaten in the RTW market. Expensive yes, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Church's still makes good shoes, Prada ownership or no Prada ownership.

Prada, on the other hand, offers crap-quality shoes at absurdly high prices. In my younger and dumber days, I used to buy Prada loafers (and even, I hesitate to admit, the occasional pair of Prada sneakers). They looked really stylish, if trendy. But they wouldn't last more than a month at best. And they were rubber-soled -- a quality which, having now read this board for over a year, I know to avoid in $500+ footwear.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Do not worry about the over-rated comments, if everyone listened to those comments everything would be over-rated and we would be walking around in £20 shoes. Stick around here and you notice over-priced mentioned quite a lot.

If the they are English-made, you cannot go wrong with Church's; most of the Italian-made are quality too. If you do not take care of them, they will last 6 months; if you take care of them, they can last over 10 years. Despite the takeover from Prada and the some of the new collections having hints of fashion, they still make quality shoes - as for people who criticise Church's because of it, what about Edward Green and those awful KG shoes.

Edward Green shoes are better then Church in terms of structure and leather but not much and they do cost more. Although I do favour Crockett & Jones shoe design and collection over EG.

If you find Church's that you like and they fit well, get them.
If you find Edward Green's that you like and they fit well, get them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't sound like you've ever worn a decent pair pair of shoes...
First, I'd say that isn't really for you to judge. I said I'm young, that doesn't really mean anything. And the question is really more about saving myself the trouble of too much trial and error. Obviously, people are going to have their preferences, but I wanted to know if there were any glaring problems once you reach that price point that would make someone apt to avoid a pair of shoes from Church's.

Church's are available here for a bit less than other higher end English and French shoes, because somehow, the markup isn't as extreme. So, that's why I used that example, but I could have about any number of others that are in the same ballpark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.