Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the generally accepted convention on matching shoe types with blazers and sportscoats?

If I classify dress shoes in decreasing order of formality as follows: a) balmorals, b) captoe or plaintoe bluchers and c) split toe bluchers, should balmorals are generally be worn with suits only? If I wore a blazer with grey or tan pants, is a split toe blucher acceptable or should I stick to captoe or plaintoe only?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I think the balmoral would be better left to something more formal, like the suit. It might depend on the blazer or sportcoat, of course. For example, I am not sure I would feel too out of place wearing a bal with a navy blazer and a nice rich grey flannel trouser, provided of course I was wearing a tie. Comes down to personal comfort I think, but when in doubt, you might want to save the balmoral for a suit.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Perhaps it's an age thing but, I'm inclined to add loafers to the mix of options...Tassels or even a "high end", well shined penny loafer would be nice. And yes, keep your split-toe Blucher's in the mix, as they will look fine with a blazer/sport coat.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Perhaps it's an age thing but, I'm inclined to add loafers to the mix of options...Tassels or even a "high end", well shined penny loafer would be nice. And yes, keep your split-toe Blucher's in the mix, as they will look fine with a blazer/sport coat.
Same here. I wear my loafers exclusively with blazers and sport coats, along with bluchers.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I just got my first pair of Balmorals and have no issue wearing them with nice slacks, shirt and tie. They feel great on my feet, offer great support, look great, so three greats, whey limit my use of them as I don't wear a suite often. Then again with all of the shoes I have that means wearing them from time to time.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Blazers and sport coats give you a chance to wear ....

your loafers that you don't wear with your suits. I wear venetian, tassle, and several other types of loafers when dressed more casually, usually sans tie.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I've had trouble finding loafers and bluchers that fit right so all five pairs of the dress shoes I have are bals. I wear brown bals with khakis and blazers and gabs and sportscoats.

I've seen men in black or burgundy tassle loafers that went fine with their suits. While I'm not big on the tassle style and probably wouldn't wear them to a really important meeting or interview I think they look fine with suits.

Wear what you like.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I wear balmorals (full wingtips) with clothes more informal than sports coats; balmorals that are cap toes or plain toes, however, may better accompany a suit than a sports coat, and definitely anything that is less formal. Perhaps among types of balmorals there are differences of formality as important as those between the balmoral and the blucher. If not there are at least as many questions to be answered with regards to regional and traditional differences, including how times have changed and what implications that has, before such a judgment can be passed; for example, wingtips were once shoes confined to the country. What does that now imply?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I wear balmorals (full wingtips) with clothes more informal than sports coats; balmorals that are cap toes or plain toes, however, may better accompany a suit than a sports coat, and definitely anything that is less formal. Perhaps among types of balmorals there are differences of formality as important as those between the balmoral and the blucher. If not there are at least as many questions to be answered with regards to regional and traditional differences, including how times have changed and what implications that has, before such a judgment can be passed; for example, wingtips were once shoes confined to the country. What does that now imply?
I agree and think a suede balmoral is another option to consider. I also have worn tassel loafers with a sportcoat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.