Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have a shoe tree preference?

They all seem pretty much the same to me. I've been using some Kenneth Cole shoe trees that I bought 10 years ago. They weren't too expensive and they get the job done.

Are there different qualities of shoe trees and do you have a shoe tree preference?

Also, do you ever refresh or replace your shoe trees or do you pretty much just use them forever?

·
Site Creator
11,752 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I second Andy's recommendation.

I use the "Washburn" model on some of my "softer" loafers like Alden Cape Cod Bit and the "Combination" on my dress shoes, etc.

Every so often I spray them with some cedar scent and let them air out.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I think Andy's recommendation is an excellent one, and the price is exceptional. I have one pair, and they are very fine trees.

But my all time favorites are the vintage Shoe Keeper brand that was made of cedar in Petersboro NH. It is a compound tree with a spring-loaded shaft in the middle. It's a simple design that works well. But it is the art of its shape that makes it special. The rear cedar piece that inserts into the heel is narrow, but not too much so. It tends to put pressure on the counter in such a way as to keep them becoming too round. Secondly, the front part is beautifully shaped and oddly fills the vamp of many different lasts almost perfectly. And the front piece has channels cut into the cedar for ventilation. They were standard for most fine shoes when I obtained them 20 to 30 years ago, but I haven't seen any just like them in quite a while.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is probably a blantant advertisment, :icon_smile_big: but the shoe trees from www.cedarvillestore.com are well made, cedar (and not finished - which is beautiful, but doesn't help with the moisture absorbing) and priced right, especially if you're an Ask Andy Member!!

Specials for Ask Andy Members from CEDARVILLE

https://www.cedarvillestore.com/p-14-mens-epic-twin-shoe-tree.aspx
Nice shoe trees, fair price. It's got the brass knob on the back which is nicer than a leather strap. I'm guessing that the 2 tubes in the middle give the shoe tree more stability than the traditional 1-tube model.

Shoe trees usually expand down the middle. Is the purpose of the alternative split style of these shoe trees simply to accomodate the 2-tube design, is it there just to "look cool" or does it serve a functional purpose?

Also, do you know if there's ever been a shoe tree that not only expands left and right but also up and down (4-way split)?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I try to buy a pair of trees whenever I buy a new pair of shoes. Usually just going with the manufacturers model. If they dont offer one, the trees from Rochester Shoe Tree Co work great.

The ones Andy posted are really nice though.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Shoe trees from the Men's Wearhouse work for me. They go for $14.99, if you have a MW credit card, you can get another 5% off.

https://www.menswearhouse.com/webap...10051_10673_10601_109663_-1_10673_CEDAR_10051
He used bad words.:p

I try to buy a pair of trees whenever I buy a new pair of shoes. Usually just going with the manufacturers model. If they dont offer one, the trees from Rochester Shoe Tree Co work great.

The ones Andy posted are really nice though.
Rochester is always my favorite.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
My main source of shoetrees is the brand Sierra Trading Post sells (Woodlore, I think). I also have shoe trees from Men's Wearhouse (I was young and foolish!), Nordstroms, and some unidentified trees I bought on eBay. The Nordstroms ones appear to be the sturdiest and best made, but I don't really find there is that much difference in quality. The Men's Wearhouse ones are nearly 9 years old and the spring action still works fine.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I second Andy's recommendation.

I use the "Washburn" model on some of my "softer" loafers like Alden Cape Cod Bit and the "Combination" on my dress shoes, etc.

Every so often I spray them with some cedar scent and let them air out.
+1...to a point. The Cedarville Washburn model is definitely my preferred shoe tree, and it is reasonably priced. I've also purchased several pair of Cedarville's twin tube Epic shoe trees but, six months ago, discovered Costco selling an unlabelled version of the Epic model, at a price of $19.95 for a pack of two trees...hard to resist at that price!

·
Registered
55 Posts
+1...to a point. The Cedarville Washburn model is definitely my preferred shoe tree, and it is reasonably priced. I've also purchased several pair of Cedarville's twin tube Epic shoe trees but, six months ago, discovered Costco selling an unlabelled version of the Epic model, at a price of $19.95 for a pack of two trees...hard to resist at that price!
Good to know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.