Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a huge deal on good shoe trees. Costco of all places had them with two sets to a box for $19.95. These had the brass knob, the tilting heal piece joined by two spring filled rods and the expanding toe section. Basically they had every feature you could want in a size of 8-11, I got 4 sets of 2 for about $80 - 8 pairs of shoes, "treed" for basically $10/pair of shoes. sweet deal ! I may have to get more just for future use.

If you belong to costco or sams club go have a look, there weren't that many so I may have to wipe them out because I wont find a deal like that any time soon.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Costco

Glad the Costco trees worked for you. Unfortunately, the size is limited to 8-11. Although I am a 10.5 to 11, the Costco trees were too small. They are well made and represent an outstandiing value. If you check the box, they are made in the USA.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick follow on question:

They are good enough that I would like to get more but I wonder if it makes sense to put these into slip on shoes/loafers/deck shoes rather than just lace-ups? Would it help? given the deal would you load up and get a pair for everything minus sneakers? Frankly at $10/a set should I just go nuts here or is it overkill? We are only talking maybe $100 to "max out" so that every non-sneaker has a set of trees...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
at a 10.5 D I think I have a bit more room to pull them out then you might get with an 8.5 but it says 8-11 so I wonder what the size 8 experience must be like. They did go in with just a bit of pressure, not much ...now I have to go test removing them ! thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
At that price, a set for each pair of shoes is a good idea. However, this depends on how many pairs of shoe you have in your rotation; if you have 7-10 pairs fair enough, if you have 20 pairs, it not be worth getting 20 pairs of shoe-trees.

You do not need a shoe-tree for every pair of shoes you own. The main advantage of a shoe-tree is to prevent moisture build-up, most of this happens when you take the shoes off. This is why it is important to ensure if you have shoe-trees, you put them in the shoes you have worn during the day. Depending on how long you had the shoes on, condition of shoes (e.g. wet) and the shoe material, should reflect how long the shoe-tress are need for that particular pair of shoes - keeping a shoe-tree in the shoes for a week has no benefit to prevent moisture. Shoes that are dry may only need a pair of shoe-trees for 24 hours, whereas suede shoes that are wet and you had worn for almost the whole day would need shoe-trees in the shoes for longer.

The second advantage is to maintain shape; however, if you have a decent rotation, say 7 shoes you could manage with do 2-4 shoe-trees. After a shoe-tree has been in a pair of shoes for 24-48 hours after you took them off, keeping a shoe-tree in the shoes has not benefit to maintain shape.

The third advantage (not really an advantage), shoes look nicer when there is a pair of shoe-trees in them.

The more shoe-trees you have, the easier it is maintain your shoes, as it allows for more lapses.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
The Costco shoe trees are indeed a great value..being seemingly identical to those sold by The Cedarville Store...I have both and have examined them closely. All of my leather shoes are "treed", with only my running shoe left without trees.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.