Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Chava,

take a look in the AAAC archives by performing a search on this topic, there are a number of very informative threads devoted to this in the recent past. They cover what to use, how to do it, etc. See if that doesn't get it done for you and if you are still having questions just bump this thread back up by posting the questions. I say this just because shoe care been covered a lot.

You can also look down at the bottom of this page and see that the forum software already shows recent threads..

·
Site Creator
11,747 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
One thing that I do for polished calf is burn the wax polish for a second before applying - does anyone else do this? I find that it's easier to get a nice, glossy finish this way; might I be doing any damage. Be careful, though, it could be a fire hazard, and it's very easy to use too much wax.

·
Registered
784 Posts
One thing that I do for polished calf is burn the wax polish for a second before applying - does anyone else do this? I find that it's easier to get a nice, glossy finish this way; might I be doing any damage. Be careful, though, it could be a fire hazard, and it's very easy to use too much wax.
I've been doing that for 46 years now since learning the technique in high school ROTC.

You're correct in stating there's a risk of using too much polish. Wait until the polish cools but has not hardened.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've never tried burning the polish before applying, since I'm not really clear on what you're supposed to do (do you just hit it with a lighter for a second so the heat softens the wax?). Also, I most often polish my shoes while traveling and I don't usually carry a lighter. However, I soften the polish by putting the closed tin in the sink and running hot water over it for a minute. After it's applied, I flick drops of hot water on the show and buff - seems to give me a good shine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the input, Mitchell, I'm not worried now that I know you've been doing it for so long.

DonV: seems like both methods serve the same purpose - soften the wax so that it better fills the pores of the leather. I do just hit the polish for a second. If it catches, I'll let it burn evenly and then wait for it to cool a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.