Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my shoes are reheeled I get a rubber heel regardless of what the original heel was. I am never asked for the type of reheeling I want.

Many shoes have leather heels with rubber tips.

Do any of you just get the rubber tip replaced ?

Some of these rubber tips are an unusual shape, so some cutting may be required rather than using a pre-cut insert.

I am assuming that those people who choose special soles also pay more attention when heels get worn down.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
When my shoes are reheeled I get a rubber heel regardless of what the original heel was. I am never asked for the type of reheeling I want.

Do any of you just get the rubber tip replaced ?

Some of these rubber tips are an unusual shape, so some cutting may be required rather than using a pre-cut insert.

I am assuming that those people who choose special soles also pay more attention when heels get worn down.
I request leather heels with rubber quarter tips. My heels wear at the same rate as my soles so I have not replaced only the heel.

W_B

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
When I take my shoes in to have the heel top-lifts replaced, I asked that the same type of heel be used and, over a good many years, this has not been possible only once. In that instance, I found a different cobbler to do the work. All you have to do is specify what you want! ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
The dove tail heel such as Alden uses I have found is not something a local cobbler can replicate. They replaced the heel cap with a leather/rubber combo.

I was told the only way to replicate the dove tail was to send the shoes back to the manufacture.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The dove tail heel such as Alden uses I have found is not something a local cobbler can replicate. They replaced the heel cap with a leather/rubber combo.

I was told the only way to replicate the dove tail was to send the shoes back to the manufacture.
We use dove tailed English (or combination) heels all the time. They are quite popular. Maybe the shop(s) you use don't carry them but they are readily available.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick V,

It is the type of heel illustrated on your web site ('dove tail' heel ?) that I had in mind.

In my ignorance, I assumed the rubber element would either be available as a unit, or cut to fit. I did not know you bought a combined leather and rubber layer. My leather heel tends to be long-lasting, whereas I find the rubber wears quickly. So a bit wasteful to replace the leather maybe.

I also find I wear steel heels fairly quickly. I had hoped that they would last significantly longer than rubber heels.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steel and rubber combination heel is more accurate. They are noisy. I do not have wooden floors or wear that type of shoe in my house. I doubt the heels would do the sort of damage women's stilletoe heels can do to a wooden dancefloor.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Nick V,

It is the type of heel illustrated on your web site ('dove tail' heel ?) that I had in mind.

In my ignorance, I assumed the rubber element would either be available as a unit, or cut to fit. I did not know you bought a combined leather and rubber layer. My leather heel tends to be long-lasting, whereas I find the rubber wears quickly. So a bit wasteful to replace the leather maybe.

The leather is inlay-ed into a rubber base which extends to the rear portion of the heel. The combined pieces are replaced as one unit.
The purpose of an English or combination heel is, you get the "feel" of walking on leather but the "wear" of rubber. Over the years a status element evolved but that was not the original intent.

·
Registered
29 Posts

the replacement heels for alden's can be purchased from alden sf. they are available, you just have to ask.
cheers...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
1. When my shoes are reheeled I get a rubber heel regardless of what the original heel was. I am never asked for the type of reheeling I want.

2. Do any of you just get the rubber tip replaced ?

3. I am assuming that those people who choose special soles also pay more attention when heels get worn down.
1. Most place would use a dove pattern rubber piece, protecting the back of the heel. I always ask for a full rubber piece at the bottom instead, as I keep going back to the same place they know what I want.

2. That is the theory but since I started getting my shoes re-heeled, I have not been back for a second re-heel yet. Once the rubber has almost worn out, I will go back and get a new rubber piece instead of a complete re-heel.

3. My heels wear in a strange way, which is I get a complete rubber bottom rather then just a part. My shoes go longer without needing a re-heel compared with when the shoe had a part rubber piece.

I have one pair of Barkers and they have a complete rubber piece rather then dove; in terms of needing a re-heeling, they are my best shoes. Normally after 18-24 months (wearing once weekly), my new shoes need a re-heel but my Barkers after 2 years, do not need a re-heel yet and maybe be another 12 months before it needs to be re-heeled.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I always just have a rubber heel put on. I would never put a rubber sole on though or even have the sole half replaced like repair guys always want me to do.

Why do they always suggest a poorer option? does a rubber sole wear out at a faster rate because it's thin so it results in more trips to the cobbler?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have a Barker with a full rubber heel and I have to say I despise it because it is more prone to picking up chewing gum. The indentations make it very difficult to get rid of the gum and I have more or less given up trying. I am seriously thinking of going to my local cobbler to reheel them, even though it means I revoke my right to have Barker resole the shoe in the future.

A flat leather-rubber heel does not have the same problems I have found.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.