Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a love hate relationship with my shoe collection (which are all Alden, with the exception of one AE). Everytime I go to purchase a new shoe it takes me at least 2-3 visits / returns to get the correct size / fit. The people at Brooks Brothers hate me I'm sure. I just purchased a pair of BB / Alden plain toe shell cordovan bluchers, size 9.5 D and while the width is ok the length is like a size 10 (like an inch from the tip of my toe to the tip of the shoe). They don't slip on my heels at all and fel comfortable but the length is driving me crazy (should it be?). At least when I used to buy crap shoes from a dept store it wasn't such a hastle (they also were crap sooooo win / lose). With BB they never have my size and they have to order it. Plus I am 1.5 hrs from the nearest stores in Atlanta. With gas the way it is I end up spending full price on the shoes even if I get them on sale. I think it is too much to ask for a store to transfer in a 9.5 D and a 9D and a 9E. I bet they would look at me like I'm crazy. Why can't Alden just land on one length for the entire line of shoes instead of having the length vary per the last stye.

THERE
I said it I'm done.
I feel better.
Alden I still love ya'.
BB get some employees that know what they're doing and know the difference between canvased and fused suits.

Sorry
I promise I'm done.
I'm sure once you own a pair of shoes in every alden last you then have all the pieces of the puzzle figured out. Although I own 5 pair of Alden dress shoes I am still perplexed.

All comments, suggestions and "H#!! yeahs!" are welcome.

Let me know what you think.

If I pulled down 6 figures I would definitely be a MTM shoe man.

Any pointers?

Thanks for being my therapist tonight.
I needed to get that out. My wife thinks I have a complex and she's probably right.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I can understand your frustration. I bought 14 pairs of Alden shoes that I ended up reselling on eBay, trying to get the correct fit, before I figured out which Alden lasts are correct for me.

In your situation, you may be better off buying your shoes through mail order. Domestic shipping on shoes is not that expensive, and it sounds like return postage fees will be less then your fuel bills for your car.

Although Alden has many lasts, chances are there will be a few of them that will work best for you, so you can focus in on those. Once you know your sizing in those lasts you will be home free.

Which last is your cordovan BB shoes built on? If it is the Barrie last, expect it to fit long in the toe box area. This last runs long from the ball of the foot forward. It is no big deal if you have some extra length in front of your toes. The important part of fitting is having the ball of your foot located at the widest part of the shoe. If this is the case with your shoes, then you bought the correct size. If you were to size down to take up the extra length in front of your toes, you may throw the other aspects of the fit way off. If the shoes are comfortable, wear them and enjoy them.

Jess

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I can understand your frustration. I bought 14 pairs of Alden shoes that I ended up reselling on eBay, trying to get the correct fit, before I figured out which Alden lasts are correct for me.

In your situation, you may be better off buying your shoes through mail order. Domestic shipping on shoes is not that expensive, and it sounds like return postage fees will be less then your fuel bills for your car.

Although Alden has many lasts, chances are there will be a few of them that will work best for you, so you can focus in on those. Once you know your sizing in those lasts you will be home free.

Which last is your cordovan BB shoes built on? If it is the Barrie last, expect it to fit long in the toe box area. This last runs long from the ball of the foot forward. It is no big deal if you have some extra length in front of your toes. The important part of fitting is having the ball of your foot located at the widest part of the shoe. If this is the case with your shoes, then you bought the correct size. If you were to size down to take up the extra length in front of your toes, you may throw the other aspects of the fit way off. If the shoes are comfortable, wear them and enjoy them.

Jess
I feel a bit better after reading this post. Thanks for sympathizing with me. I am not sure what last this is built on but if it is the same one that is listed on the Alden site then it is the Barrie. I will take a closer look to see how the fit is at the ball of my foot, it's probably ok. The fit is perfect now around the laces but I am also concerned that when my foot settles into the shoe it may be lose fitting there as well. Thoughts?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!:icon_smile:

·
Registered
173 Posts
If I am in between 2 sizes, I would always rather have the larger size. You can always wear the shoes with a heavier sock and/or an inner sole if necessary. If the shoes are a little small, your feet will be miserable, especially if your feet should swell during the course of the day. I don't own any cordovan shoes, but I understand they don't stretch out like say a soft calf. It sounds like you did buy the correct size.

Jess

·
Registered
278 Posts
You could internet order many different sizes, find the one that fits, and return the rest to your 1.5 hour away BB. BB ships for free if you spend over $200. I have no problem returning things - if stores don't want returns they are free to change their return policy.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I feel your pain, except I only have to drive 10 minutes to the store where I purchase my Alden shoes. They are very good about exchanging the shoes, but Alden does not always have what I need in stock and sometimes there is a considerable wait.

With the All Weather Walkers on the Barrie last, I had to put in inner soles and felt pads on the tongue. They feel good with thick Argyle socks.

I have an another pair Alden bluchers in width E - I forget the last and my Alden catalog is upstairs. My third pair are bals and I went to a EE which seems to have worked okay.

I want to get a pair in burgandy and I think I will try to find a style that I like in a last that I already have. If that does not work out, I might settle for a pair of flip flops. :icon_smile:

Btw, I read a suggestion here that one tries on new shoes in the afternoon because feet swell a bit during the day.

Good luck, Jim.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again...

For all the helpful suggestions. I may still order a 9 and a 9 E online at BB.com and figure out what works best and return the oher 2 pair. You do what you have to do. Right?
Thanks again and have a great day!:icon_smile:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
BB will work with you in getting the right size....

I wear Peal's (I have never liked Alden style wise), and my salesman will order in 3 to 4 pairs. I live a little over an hour from the BB store plus I have to pay for parking. I like to drive there though, but wouldn't do it for 1 pair. My last order was for three pairs. I kept one, rejected one, and asked him to replace the third with another color. They will send this last one to my house. Also, he holds them until a 25% off sale, since he knows I wont pay retail. A lot of good service and good prices. I paid $290 for my last Peal's made by Crockett & Jones. This includes a 25% markdown and another $60 off with BB credit card coupons. This is about the price you would pay for top of the line Johnston and Murphy's, but the Peal is a much better shoe. I know you can get A-Es cheaper, but I have never liked their designs, so don't buy them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.