Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been trying to figure out for the longest time which shoe polish is the best. Over the time I have been reading this forum and StyleForum, I noticed a vote for Lincoln Wax Polish. I also read about how bad these polishes(Kiwi, etc) are because they contain oils not natural to leather. Others have mentioned brands from Europe that are much better for leather. What about Angelus? They claim to use beeswax. I have been using Kiwi for the longest time and can get a pretty darn good bright gloss shine. Do these other brands produce a better shine? It also bothers me that I can't find these other brands easily being in NYC nonetheless. Ordering online makes no sense because most places I seen, the shipping prices just makes it unreasonable to order. If anyone wants for know my method for polishing shoes for reasons I don't why??? [V], I will post my method.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There's a very similar comparison with some more polishes on page 8 of theis pdf:

I've found Burgol to be the best polish around, though I haven't tried Saphier's top line yet. All I can tell you is that it is very easy to apply, really sinks into the leather, produces an excellent shine and is great for antiqueing. For anyone intersted there are some nice pictures on the website (www.burgol.de), click on the pics on the front page or go to "Schuhpflege" and click on the PDF's. The polish is still handmade (mixed) in Switzerland of only natural ingredients- on the german shoeforum www.dailyshoes.de the consensus by many members and highly respected professionals was that Burgol was the best they ever had on their shoes. I dodn't know how hard it is to get it in the US though.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,711 Posts
Old reliable Kiwi paste wax has dominated my shoe kit for more than 40 years. I also like the tubes of AE shoe cream but, while I am usually able to buy their shoes at a deep discount, I can't remember finding their shoe polish at anything but full retail price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
thanks for the infoshare guys--I've had issues with kiwi being a bit too "sticky" (for lack of a better word), but will try lincoln's/angelus....If anybody has other recommendations, please post--i'd love to hear....

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,017 Posts
After reading the high praise for Lincoln in these fora, I bought a couple of tins of Lincoln wax-type shoe polish. I have been rather disappointed in it. I find it leaves a conspicuous off-white waxy residue quite frequently despite my best efforts at brushing and buffing. Never had this problem with good ol' Kiwi.

At the risk of coming across as a total shill for A-E (which I probably am[:I]--just wish they'd give me some free shoes for my efforts [}:)];)), I really like their Premium Shoe Polish, the kind that comes in the tube. I believe Nordstrom's "Synovia" is the same stuff although I'm not sure of this. I don't think you can get a military parade gloss, but it will give you a decent everyday shine with a minimum of hassle.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The tests used by Burgol and Bootblackmail, though visually impressive do not test the essence of a polish, namely its ability to produce a shine. Much of the information in Bootblackmail's site is incorrect (about which I will post later), but the comments about silica are an example.

Bootblackmail, you seem to have arcane pursuits, and it is noteworthy that non-shoe fetishists also have an interest in shoe polish. Perhaps I should have read the URL of your website more carefully before exploring it at work[:I].

Aus

·
Honors Member<br>P-Bomb
7,066 Posts
I have been using Melotin &lt;sp?&gt; for some time now and am happy with the results. Living in the desert, protection from abrasion (sand) is important and this brand seems to protect well. I buy my shoe care items from this website:

Good selection, good price, FAST shipping.

Warmest regards

Edit: Meltonian I think is the correct spelling.

·
Registered
249 Posts
great thread! the link that bootblackmail posted is incredible! i've wondered about some of these things for years and thought I was the only one who cared!! That's what makes AAAC so great, no matter how arcane the subject, there is always someone who knows something about it and can help the rest of us.

BTW, while in Japan , I stopped at Tokyu Hands (not a misspelling) which is a famous chain of do it yourself stores, and they have the greatest variety of shoe trees(maybe a dozen styles!) I've ever seen in one locaation. there array of polishes , brushes, and accessories is second to none. strangely, I've never noticed that the Japanese take particularly good care of their shoes, and wonder who buys all that polish?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I like Meltonian for their color choice. However,
I see I need to try something upscale for
my new Wildsmith English Brogues. Where do
I find Schuper and the other exotic European
brands?

Charlie Channel-hunter

·
Registered
197 Posts
I recall that years ago I used to bust out the Zippo and put a flame to my shoes after applying polish and before buffing. I haven't done this in years and just remembered it now. As I recall, it gave the shoes a beautiful gloss. Has anyone else done this? Is it as good as I remember?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I very much like the Meltonian. There must be 50 or more color choices. The creme stays moist a bit longer, covers very well, and allows for buffing out scuffs fairly easily. That also blends the colors for the antiquing.

I really do believe that you can go overboard on being fixated about the "best" polish. The probelm your shoes will have is lack of attention. Monthly conditioning and polish whether you wear them or not. And a polish after every several wearings if you wear them regularly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recall that years ago I used to bust out the Zippo and put a flame to my shoes after applying polish and before buffing. I haven't done this in years and just remembered it now. As I recall, it gave the shoes a beautiful gloss. Has anyone else done this? Is it as good as I remember?
Well, you can still do it with black shoes if you like. It will affect the leather over time, but it can take years so it depends on how long you plan to use and restore them. Never with brown, of course, because you can burn both the polish or the shoe and permanently mark the shoe.

However, even better is to create heat with the polish. You can light some cremes/waxes on fire and melt them and get the same shine without putting flame to shoe (Angelus is one I know of that melts exceptionally well for a final coat). For black shoes, I keep two tins of Angelus. One for the first coat or two, and the second for melting.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've used Kiwi, Lincoln, and Meltonian. I find I get a slightly higher shine with Lincoln than I do with Kiwi, but where I live, Kiwi is easier to find. To get Lincoln, I have to go to a shoe repair place. I use Meltonian when I don't want a mirror shine.

The important point is: just keep your shoes polished. Any polish will do. Some on this board will go off the deep end about how waxes seal up the pores in your shoes, and creams won't. It's baloney. I have shoes over twenty years old which I use wax polishes on, and they look like new.

Good luck,
Don

·
Registered
4,365 Posts

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
The tests used by Burgol and Bootblackmail, though visually impressive do not test the essence of a polish, namely its ability to produce a shine. Much of the information in Bootblackmail's site is incorrect (about which I will post later), but the comments about silica are an example.

Bootblackmail, you seem to have arcane pursuits, and it is noteworthy that non-shoe fetishists also have an interest in shoe polish. Perhaps I should have read the URL of your website more carefully before exploring it at work[:I].

Aus
Gloss can be measured

https://www.rhopointinstruments.com/index.php/Support/Support/gloss.html

https://www.testingmachines.com/68-13-novo-gloss-meter.html

Has anyone used such equipment to measure shoe shines?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.