Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some threads on this already but they're pretty old and don't answer all my questions all at once so I apologize for bringing this up again but...

My heels wear down pretty quickly in the outer rear part of the heels. Wondering what I should do.

I've heard of the metal taps but I'm concerned about scratching floors and making lots of noise.

Shoes with wood/leather heels as opposed to all rubber obviously make some noise which is okay with me but will metal taps make alot more noise?

I've heard plastic taps also wear down much quicker, one guy said he replaces them monthly which I think is too frequent. once or twice a year for a shoe worn 2-3 times a week would be okay for me. i recently reheeled two pairs of shoes after about a years worth of wear, the rubber had worn to the wood though.

I've read this is less common in the states than in europe, can I assume most cobblers do this? How much does it cost?

My shoes all have rubber tops that cover the back heels or the full heel, is there a type of tap for rubber?

thanks in advance

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,769 Posts
While they must be replaced on a regular basis, it seems that nylon taps are your best way to go, in this instance. The nylon taps will endure a bit longer than taps made of softer materials and will not scratch your wood and/or slate floors the way metal taps would do! Your other option would be to replace the toplifts on your heels, as they wear down...a more expensive approach but, not prohibitively so.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
You can get quarter steel heels here in the UK.

Yes, they are noisy. I did not find they wore significantly longer than rubber heels.

Metal taps on heels are a waste of time. They do not last long, or fall off - unlike toe taps which are silent, save wear and last a long time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
+1 for nylon heel taps.

I have wood floors in my home and work in a facility with primarily tile floors. I made the mistake of trying steel taps on one pair of my shoes and they were noisy at work and actually sratched (although minor) my wood floors at home.

I find that I end up replacing the nylon heel taps on my shoes about every three months. I, like you, rotate and wear my shoes about 1-2 times per week, however I still find it necessary to replace the taps quarterly. My cobbler only charges $6/pair to replace them so it is not an issue, however YMMV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.