Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Don't be afraid to wear mid- or dark-brown shoes with a navy suit. (My preference is for dark-brown, but then, being an Italian, I would say that.) The fashion for wearing tan-coloured shoes with dark suits has now (thankfully) passed. I once succumbed myself; I now wince when I see it.

One of my favourite combinations, particularly with a blue flannel or saxony suit, is to pair it with tobacco-brown reverse-calf shoes, my favourite being a pair of cap-toed side-gussetted RLPL.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Black is acceptable, but I wear black shoes only when absolutely required. I generally wear mid to dark browns with everything. I don't have any real oxbloods but these could work depending on just how red they are.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
To me, navy and midnight are two quite different shades of blue, though navy is used to describe a broad range.

I would only wear black with midnight, but depending on the shade of navy would wear black, oxblood or brown.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I recently had someone comment to me that my burgundy shoes that I was wearing with a navy blue suit were too "bright" ( how can burgundy be bright!). He felt strongly that I should have had black shoes only on with a suit.

Such conservative opinions aside I prefer either burgundy or for conservative occasions black with navy suits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.