Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a pair of AE Thayer monk strap shoes in black.
I am planning to wear then w/a navy suit and possibly a charcoal as well.
My question is are monk straps okay w/a suit? Or should I stick w/a lace-up.

BTW the suits and shoes will be worn while attending meetings of a Fraternal organization I am a member of.
Thanks

· Registered
464 Posts
Some do, some don't. Depending on the occasion they may work. It is generally frowned upon here but, since you are in California, you could probably wear flip-flops and be over dressed. :icon_smile_big:

640 Posts
You'll be fine. I wear monkstarps with suits like the ones you described all the time, but usually double monk captoes type like the AE Mora.....

The Thayer has an apron vamp and a split toe. Apron vamps are too "contemporary" or "updated" for my taste. And IMHO split toes too casual with a navy or charcoal "city" suit. But if you wear them as you described, I doubt any of your brethren will hold you in any lower esteem.

Go ahead and wear the Thayers with enjoy yourself.

· Registered
61 Posts
I don't usually wear black shoes with navy either, but I see a lot of people doing it. If you are looking for something a bit different with your gray and navy suits, the Thayer is a lot better than the square toed Kenneth Coles you see all over town. I agree that you should have a decent pair of oxfords, like the AE Park Avenue or Fifth Avenue, before adding a monk strap. I would get one in black and one in brown first. I would then decide whether you wanted to wear the Thayer in black. I have them in black and brown. I sometimes wear the black with a blazer and gray trousers, but I wear the brown ones about ten times more often.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.