Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new LL Bean catalog listing for OCBD shirts shows a couple of new stripes. They still have all the standard OCBD colors plus the three checks and three stripes (blue, burgandy, and green) that they have had for some time. They also have three shades of blue:
Blue - looks like light blue to me
French Blue - looks like standard blue to me
Royal Blue - looks like French blue to me.
Oh, and they don't have pink, but do have Burgandy which looks like Pink to me.

I am basing the above on the picture in the catalog so they colors that I described above might look a bit different in real life.

With the exception of BB and Mercer most OBCD shirts have a maximum collar size of 17.5 while Bean goes to 18.0" which might help some folks.

The price for the solids is $29.95 which I think is the same as the Lands End Hyde Park and I think the quality is about the same. Patterns are $34.95.

I also noticed that their pinpoints, which went to s/m/l sizing a few years ago are back in exact sleeve and neck sizes.

All of their shirts are in the, not so popular here, non-iron fabric.

Bean does not seem to get much mention here, so I thought this might be interesting to some folks.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I also noticed that their pinpoints, which went to s/m/l sizing a few years ago are back in exact sleeve and neck sizes.
Jim, I think they've had two lines, one with exact neck and sleeve sizes, the other sized S,M,L,XL.

tinytim, all of their shirts are very full cut.

My experience is that the shirts are a good value for the money. Unfortunately, their non-iron finish has been very stiff on their broadcloth/poplin shirts. Haven't sampled the twill, but typically twill will not stiffen as much from the applied finish.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
LL Bean's non-iron shirts are like cardboard. I mistakenly bought a few a while back and I would not buy any more 'non-iron' or 'wrinkle-free' shirts from LL Bean. I do have a couple of their 'must-iron' 100% pima cotton OCBD and I'm happy with those. The 'must-iron' shirts I have are full cut, which I like.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking the same myself. They have 3 colors in the university stripe OCBD's. My question is, how's the fit. Do they have that grossly oversize body and sleeve or are they more of a slim fit.
They are cut pretty full, probably about like the traditional BB shirt and they do not offer a slim option alas.

The only option they have is for short sleeves. I don't know who they are appealing to here - someone who wants an Oxford cloth sport shirt maybe.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim, I think they've had two lines, one with exact neck and sleeve sizes, the other sized S,M,L,XL.

tinytim, all of their shirts are very full cut.

My experience is that the shirts are a good value for the money. Unfortunately, their non-iron finish has been very stiff on their broadcloth/poplin shirts. Haven't sampled the twill, but typically twill will not stiffen as much from the applied finish.
It is possible that they do have two lines and I missed it. I know sometimes I see a shirt in their catalog that looks interesting but only comes in s/m/l/xl sizing.

I have never bought their lightweight shirts - only the Oxford cloth. I don't find them too stiff, but I am retired and don't have occasion to wear them for a long period of time with a tie so that might make a difference.

It seems that whole industry, or at least most of it, is moving to non-iron fabrics. Maybe some day must-irons will become a luxury item.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I was thinking the same myself. They have 3 colors in the university stripe OCBD's. My question is, how's the fit. Do they have that grossly oversize body and sleeve or are they more of a slim fit.
Actually, I really like the fit. Full enough, but not TOO full.

They're also very sturdy feeling. I imagine they'll last for a couple of decades.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have the blue/white university stripe. It is a wrinkle free fabric, but it's not THAT bad. I am fine with it. I do notice it doesn't breath as well as my BB OCBD's, but it's not bad and I do like the look of the fabric. The cut is fairly full but not as full as BB. Not bad, perfectly reasonable shirt.

Danny

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I got one of the tattersall ones for Christmas. I like the pattern and cut of the shirt for a casual or under sweater shirt, but it is quite stiff. I assume that after a year or so (a guess - LE guarantees 25 - 50 washes), that the treatment will wear off, and the shirt should be okay then.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Actually, I really like the fit. Full enough, but not TOO full.

They're also very sturdy feeling. I imagine they'll last for a couple of decades.
If you're slim, a full cut looks terrible. My LE regular cut has almost a 40" at the waist. And that's for a 15" neck. I have a 15" neck 38" chest and 30" waist. Obviously, they look huge on me.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have not had a 30" waist in many years, and the LLB OCBD's are cut so full that they're still huge on me. I don't care for the non-iron finish either -- stiff like cardboard, etc., is a fair assessment. IMO, you are much, much better off spending the extra money for the BB OCBDs (non-non iron, of course) or going with LE.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have not had a 30" waist in many years, and the LLB OCBD's are cut so full that they're still huge on me. I don't care for the non-iron finish either -- stiff like cardboard, etc., is a fair assessment. IMO, you are much, much better off spending the extra money for the BB OCBDs (non-non iron, of course) or going with LE.
What I like about LLB is they have a green and red univ-stripe. LE just put a nice brown univ-stripe in the catalog. I'm wearing one now. It's a nice change from the typical blue.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
What I like about LLB is they have a green and red univ-stripe. LE just put a nice brown univ-stripe in the catalog. I'm wearing one now. It's a nice change from the typical blue.
I have the LLB OCBD in the camp green univ-stripe. I wish more retailers offered univ-stripes in a broader range of colors (green, pink, etc.), and in exact sleeve and neck sizes.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Polo Ralph Lauren makes a nice, soft, 100% cotton must-iron, green university-stripe OCBD. It's not hard and stiff like LLB's non-iron shirts. Found it at the PRL outlet not too long ago and if you don't mind the pony logo, it's a good shirt. In fact, I'm wearing one today.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I ordered a swatch of the brown stripe and tattersall and they *mailed* me a notice saying they weren't available. More and more LE doesn't have fabric swatches in stock.

Brian

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm probably not typical in that I like a heavy starch in all my OCBDs. That seems fairly common in the South. I especially like a starched crisp beefy oxford. It just hs a look of substance that I find appealing. Given that I don't mind a bit of stiffness in my shirts (expect extremely casual wear) I don't find the LL Bean Oxfords stiff at all for my tastes. I live their range of collors and patterns and their full cut. If I could change anything it would be the collar. It is a bit short, doesn't come high enough up on the neck, and the button placement makes in almost a semi-spread collar when worn with a tie. Not much of a roll as you can imagine. Lands' End has one of the best collars IMHO going for my taste...though I alternate with their Hyde Park and BB must-irons. LE has just come out with their original oxford in a non-iron version. I ordered one in white (they're only testing the water with 3 colors) and will be interested to see if the non-iron treatment ruins the collar roll. If suitable, I'd like to see them offer their non-iron treatment in the Hyde Park as long as they continue to offer the must iron model as well. Also, they claim their tails are as long as those of yesteryear (the 80's) but I'm not buying it. I'm just slightly over six feet tall and don't have a long torso and have to order the more expensive tall model to get them to stay tucked in. BTW does anyone have a secret for keepingone's shirtail tucked. Regardless of when I've been skinny as a rail or toting a bit of a gut...long rise or short trousers...I have to retuck numerous times a day. Perhaps just a physique thing...but long tails do help. Anyone with advice? (Don't mean to get off thread...but desperate for a tip and not sure it deserves one of its own). As for the LL Bean oxford, I'm wearing a tattersall now open collared. I use them the way I wear Polo buttondowns...sans tie because the collar just doesn't have the kind of roll I'm looking for when fully buttoned. Finally, if I want buttery soft...I go with pinpoint, broadcloth, or poplin. Just my take on the matter. BTW the comment on the different shades of blue was on the money. Blue is light blue, French Blue is more like BB/Gitman Bros/or LE--only more flattering in my view. Haven't tried the Royal Blue...but it looks French Blue which I don't care for in OCBD's.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've bought over the years a number of LLBean's OCBD and have generally been happy. However during the same time frame I purchased several Lands End OCBD and comparing the two the LE shirt had less shrinkage and held up better than Bean's. I have a rather thick neck, and the Bean shirts have over several wearings shunk down at least half a neck size while the LE shirt stayed relatively the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.