Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
No matter whether the links are formal or not, ....

the push thru links (second set) only work well if the links are round. These links, when they are eliptical or another geometric design such as rectangular, tend to situate themselves at some odd angle not parallel to the cuff. I found this out after purchasing a pair of Robert Talbott links which were fairly expensive. As a result, I seldom wear them and would not purchase another pair of push thru links. I like the taoggle links ( first shown) since they grip the cuff and keep the links parallel to the cuff edge. Some want the chain type so that a finished link is observed from either side, but I have found that these are a pain to install.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have sets of both types, and each similarly priced. I find that the the stud sets with the toggles are more difficult to put into the shirt front for me, although I think they stay in place better if your moving around. The studs I wore for my wedding were push through, and when much dancing ensued I popped two of the studs. Granted the shirt was fairly trim. Overall I'm guessing the sales guy only has one style of stud set and is trying to make you think it's the best way to go.

I think either is fine, depending on taste and functionality.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I have both styles of studs, and have found . . .

. . . those with the solid backs to stay put better than those with toggles.

I do not wear my one set of studs with toggles, as I found that they fell out of my first formal shirt with such speed that I took them off, and used the strip of buttons that came with the shirt instead.

My experience with solid-backed studs is that the stay in place much better.

I can echo dfloyd's observations about toggle-back vs. solid stud backed cufflinks. Those pairs of cufflinks which I own with solid stud backs, if the face of them isn't round, often twist into odd angles with wearing.

As for double-faced cufflinks with chains, they are more attractive, but American-made shirts have smaller buttonholes for double-cuffed shirts than do UK-made (or UK-branded) shirts, hence his observation about the pain of getting them on and off.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I believe that the first set was the way they used to be made. I bought a pair made in the 1920s like that and my understanding was that they've essentially "evolved." The problem with the first type is that they're a bit harder to put on and take off. That being said, they do stay put quite well.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I do not wear my one set of studs with toggles, as I found that they fell out of my first formal shirt with such speed that I took them off, and used the strip of buttons that came with the shirt instead.
That is frustrating, isn't it? I'll have to try the second version out sometime. Does anybody know which style pre-dates the other? I believe the first version is classic, the other contemporary.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hillarious. The advantage of the second set, is that they are more durable if they are solid. They may also screw open, and then the advantage is decreased.
I find it funny that a salesman (of all people),would tell me something is "lower class".The way I see it,even if there is some unwritten rule regarding the back of the stud,who apart,from the wearer (and whomever the wearer removes them in front of),will ever know.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
That is frustrating, isn't it? I'll have to try the second version out sometime. Does anybody know which style pre-dates the other? I believe the first version is classic, the other contemporary.
I would say that flat-back studs (the second style) go back as far as the 1930s if not before, in the UK at least. I think that the first style is distinctively American; not sure which woudl have evolved first in the US.

·
Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
8,748 Posts
I own three sets of studs (one set is for sale). All three are vintage American (Park Roger, Krementz and Swank), and all three are of the first style. The back on a shirt stud seems irrelevant to me. I am opposed to toggle backs on cufflinks, however.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.