• A Combination of Folded & Hangers?

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do you keep your shirts, folded or on hangers? Or does a heap on the floor suffice? Why? Is it a question of space, how the shirts look when you don them, concern for their care/longevity? Do you keep them arranged in a particular manner? Are certain shirts treated differently than others. Photographs would be welcomed?

· Registered
364 Posts
I keep mine on hangers in my closet. I find this the most convenient method of keeping them neat and ready for their next wear. Folding them into a drawer leaves creases and inevitably they need to be re-ironed, as opposed to storing them on hangers in a closet. I keep my shirts assorted by colour, blues to the far right, then pinks, whites, yellows, reds etc.... going left.

· Registered
356 Posts
I hang all my shirts so they stay crisp and I can clearly see each shirt. I am currently sorting through them and to help with this I put each shirt, as I wear it, in the front so that with time the shirts that stay in the back can be removed, as I am obviously not wearing them. This helps me not only to keep more space, but also realize what I don't wear so I don't rebuy it.

· Registered
934 Posts
All shirst are on cedar hangers. French cuff shirts to the left and button down next. Each are then color coordinated. Tux shirts have additional tissue paper around the collars. All shirts are ironed by me and the stays replaced plus twist ties are placed through the french cuffs. Yes I am crazy.

· Registered
103 Posts
I keep my shirts on hangers always. Folding them I believe will cause unnecessary wrinkles. Also you would have to careful stacking them on top of each other because that can wrinkle or deform the collar. At the store shirts are packaged with a plastic or cardboard collar reinforcement for this purpose. It is nice to open the closet and see nice shirts hanging to me and it is the way to go practically and aesthetically.

· Registered
1,130 Posts
In season are on hangers, out of season shirts in a plastic bin under the bed.( Most of my shirts do transcend the limited season changer here).

· Registered
464 Posts
A secondary question, do most people leave the top button buttoned on the hanger, possibly with a clip to keep it held flat, and also do most leave french cuffs straight or have them folded on the hanger?
1st, 2nd & 4th buttons buttoned. With the size of my shirts, anything less will pull on the front and leave a wrinkle across the chest. French cuffs straight.

· Site Creator
11,761 Posts
On hangers, those very thin one's advertised on HSN but available everywhere!

And I just discovered plastic storage bags that are vacuumed sealed. You put your off season clothes in them and use a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out and end up with a protected package of clothes in half the space.

I leave the top buttoned undone just so that hanger is easier to put in. When I get ready to wear the shirt I steam it with the top button closed.

· Registered
2,163 Posts
The great thing about a non-iron shirt is one doesn't have to worry about wrinkling it, so one may just lay it where ever, however, I can think of more comfortable things to put on my back. I lay it on top of the small mound of Ribbedtee.com t-shirts I recently won. :icon_smile: I only wear white shirts, and I just have two. The other two shirts I own are formal shirts, both from RLPL. Paid $400 a pop. They are always pressed and go on wire hangers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.