Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am talking about the sleeves on a collared shirt, ocbd or point collar, dress or sport.

I wear 18/33, which is not a problem finding, in general. In a letter size I wear XL or even XXL depending on the brand. The body is usually a bit roomy, which I can deal with. However, the sleeves in XL and XXL seem to be 34-35. That is way too long for me. I am only 5'5". I don't like having to roll up my sleeves.

I asked my cleaner if they shorten sleeves, and if they do it from the shoulder or the cuff. The answer is yes, they do it, but from the cuff (removed, sleeves shortened, cuffs reattached). I asked if it would look funny, because the gauntlet opening is going to be rendered almost non-existent. She said no, it would be fine, though I don't wear a jacket.

What say you? Will it look funny, or is that really the way to go?

·
Registered
356 Posts
you can ask them to move the placket along with the cuff. this way you'll keep a standard gauntlet opening. As long as the diameter of the sleeve isn't too big where the cuff is moved to, this will look just like new, otherwise you may need to add an extra pleat into the cuff. At that point the shoulder just might be easier.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She mentioned that she could move the placket. However, because of the extra work involved, it would cost somewhat more, though she didn't say how much. As it stands, shortening from the cuff will be $18 per shirt. I have 8-10 shirts that need this attention.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Practically speaking . . .

this is going to cost you something to do all those shirts. So saving the extra seems prudent. Should I presume that you have made a cost/benefit analysis and given away any shirts that aren't worth doing?

The essential question here appears to me to be whether, after the cuff is moved, you can get your hand through the opening with a reduced gauntlet. If so, I don't see any problem minimizing the gauntlet, so long as that is not too constrictive. After all, don't we spend an inordinate amount of time buttoning and unbuttoning the cursed gauntlet button so as not to affront "The Queen" with an excessive exposure of hairy forearm? You'll be saved the trouble:icon_smile_big:

It may look a little odd, but if someone is that critical, you don't need them as a friend:icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Having gone through this recently, I've found that on french or double cuffs it isn't necessary to have the gauntlet moved with after having sleeves shortened. My sleeves were shotened by one inch and still function fine and don't look bad.

If the shirt's a button cuff and has a gauntlet button I've found it personally preferable to move gauntlet to keep the gauntlet button centered and functional.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
If I hadn't posted back and forth with you before, I might even indulge in Schadenfreude!!

(Take THAT, Mr. Muscles!!)

Seriously, it's kind of sad that you are in incredible shape and it causes this problem. Good luck with the tailoring!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is going to cost you something to do all those shirts. So saving the extra seems prudent. Should I presume that you have made a cost/benefit analysis and given away any shirts that aren't worth doing?
All of the shirts are in almost new condition. I have so many in my closet that it can be a whole season before I get to wearing the same one again.

The essential question here appears to me to be whether, after the cuff is moved, you can get your hand through the opening with a reduced gauntlet. If so, I don't see any problem minimizing the gauntlet, so long as that is not too constrictive.
OK, great... I don't think that will be a problem.

It may look a little odd, but if someone is that critical, you don't need them as a friend:icon_smile_wink:
Most of them wouldn't notice, so I guess I really am OK going this route. :icon_smile_big:

Having gone through this recently, I've found that on french or double cuffs it isn't necessary to have the gauntlet moved with after having sleeves shortened. My sleeves were shotened by one inch and still function fine and don't look bad.
Fortunately my French cuff shirts are the proper length because they are number size: 18/33.

Could you do one shirt the less expensive way and see if you like it? If you don't, you can still wear the shirt with a jacket.
Yes, I am planning on just one or two of the sportier ones to see how they come out. These are shirts I could easily wear with the sleeves rolled up if push comes to shove.

If I hadn't posted back and forth with you before, I might even indulge in Schadenfreude!!

(Take THAT, Mr. Muscles!!)

Seriously, it's kind of sad that you are in incredible shape and it causes this problem. Good luck with the tailoring!
Thanks. The whole problem is that I'm so damn short. If I add any more size to my back to make the sleeves fit better (as your back widens, your sleeves get shorter), my jackets won't fit. And they're on the verge already.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
generally, 1" just needs the cuff to be moved up. if its more than that, the placket must be moved up also.
shortening at the top requires the top of the sleeve to be recut lower.
when this is done, chances are the sleeve may not fit properly back into the armhole.

·
Registered
472 Posts
you can ask them to move the placket along with the cuff. this way you'll keep a standard gauntlet opening. As long as the diameter of the sleeve isn't too big where the cuff is moved to, this will look just like new, otherwise you may need to add an extra pleat into the cuff. At that point the shoulder just might be easier.
This is exactly right, take it to a competent tailor though, not just the cleaner.^^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.