Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i've been getting more and more into trad clothing, ive started buying shirts from a variety of sources and noticed that after washing, collar sizes vary quite a bit.

For instance:
a brooks oxford 14.5 shrinks down to about a 14 which is perfect for me
a brooks non-iron is slightly larger than 14.5 and doesnt shrink at all
a press pinpoint shrinks down a little but not as much as oxford

the oxford results in a great fit, the non-iron in a horrible fit, and the pinpoint is pretty good

is there a logic to this? Do oxfords shrink more than pinpoint and pinpoint more than broadcloth? Or is it more just all over the place?

thanks

· Registered
996 Posts
my experience agrees

Oxford cloth is a looser weave of coarser yarns, so it has more room to shrink. I'm guessing a thicker yarn may loose more length also. Non-iron stuff has that treatment binding warp and weft, so everything is more dimensionally static.

Just my theory/rationalization.

· Registered
2,500 Posts
Also, I noticed that my white Brooks OCBD shrink more in the neck that the color shirts do. My guess is that in coloring the fabric, it gets an additional wash/shrink along the way, and so most of the shrink is out of the blue/pink, etc. After my regular sized one shrank too much to fasten the button, I took the shirt back to Brooks and got a neck size 1/2 inch larger in the white and that worked out perfectly.

The non-irons do not seem to shrink much at all, but I don't think I ever put one in the dryer to a full dry (I dry for 5 mins then hang dry).

· Banned
316 Posts
what about the Hyde Parks?

i bought my first LE Hyde Park shirt in my normal size (16/35) but it was definitely too big in the collar. i returned it and was about to re-buy a half-inch smaller in the collar but i now realize i could have washed it, seen if/how it shrank and then still returned if it didn't shrink enough. i grew up in a retail family so i feel guilty taking advantage of this kind of thing even though it's their policy. any advice on the hyde parks? in case color matters, the one i bought was ecru, but i was thinking of buying in blue, too.

one more thing: the BB OCBDs in blue have nice white stitching that contrasts ever so slightly with the color of the shirt. i'm not sure whether i really like it, but i have begun to think of it as "classic." Hyde Parks got this, too?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.