Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day, all. I have a problem that I hope may be solved on the forum.

My neck size is very fat at about 18.5 inches, in relation to my other dimensions. Sleeve length is 33 and my body type is moderately overweight (5'9", 210 lbs.) Good fit in a dress shirt straight off the rack has been impossible to find. It seems that anything with a 17-18" neck is made for someone who weighs 300 lbs. or who bench presses 300 lbs.

Things I've considered:
1) Buy 17.5 x 33 slim fit and move collar button 1/2" and expand buttonhole 1/2". This, of course, would tend to misalign the front placket. I have not actually tried this. 17.5 x 33 BB slim fit does work well for me in stripes and colors for business casual without a tie.

2) Brooks Makers 18.5 x 33 slim fit made-to-order. I've done this, and shirts are too big through the trunk and cuffs are too large in circumference. Expensive. However, I can wear them and keep a tie around my neck all day.

3) Big&Tall 18.5 x 33 off the rack from Dillards or similar and take it to a professional tailor to slim down the body dimensions and cuffs. Can this be done?

What can a tailor do and what can they not do? Has anyone else successfully solved a similar issue?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
5'9" and 210 "moderately overweight?" I take it you are very muscular. No offense intended.
No offense taken and no, I am not particularly muscular at all. Just a genetically determined very thick neck. Other body dimensions are that of a typical sedentary white collar desk jockey who needs to lose 25 lbs. Pants size is 38 x 30, and the only problem I have with pants is that this size is so common that it is often sold out from rack displays.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
It is very easy for most competent tailors to alter OTR dress shirts.

I am 6' 1" - 225 - with a 19 inch neck and 38 inch waist. Most OTR dress shirts that fit my neck, are like balloons everywhere else. My tailor easily tapers the sides and the sleeves - and I end up with a shirt that fits like a glove.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is very easy for most competent tailors to alter OTR dress shirts.

I am 6' 1" - 225 - with a 19 inch neck and 38 inch waist. Most OTR dress shirts that fit my neck, are like balloons everywhere else. My tailor easily tapers the sides and the sleeves - and I end up with a shirt that fits like a glove.
Could I ask what cost I should expect? And you did say "most competent tailors." Possibly I should take one of the BB Makers shirts to a BB bricks-and-mortar store and see what they can do?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Could I ask what cost I should expect? And you did say "most competent tailors." Possibly I should take one of the BB Makers shirts to a BB bricks-and-mortar store and see what they can do?
My tailor does them for between $15 and $25, depending on how much work they require.

I was assuming you already had a good tailor. I think anyone short of the lady with pins at your local dry cleaner, should be able to do this - but you should use this as an opportunity to seek out a good tailor in your area, as the more time you spend here at AAAC - the more you will come to realize the value of a good tailor.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My tailor does them for between $15 and $25, depending on how much work they require.

I was assuming you already had a good tailor. I think anyone short of the lady with pins at your local dry cleaner, should be able to do this - but you should use this as an opportunity to seek out a good tailor in your area, as the more time you spend here at AAAC - the more you will come to realize the value of a good tailor.
Thanks for information. $15 to 25 seems very inexpensive for that level of skill in this age. You can't get teenagers to babysit or mow a lawn for that kind of money anymore.

I reside permanently in a rural area (no tailors that I know of) and travel for work projects, usually to unfamiliar areas and often to rural areas, so I have to shop around continuously for barbers, tailors, and the like.

Currently, West Palm Beach, Florida is the nearest urban area. There certainly should be some good tailors in this area... I will have to seek out more information.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
18.5 x 33 off the rack from Dillards or similar and take it to a professional tailor to slim down the body dimensions and cuffs. Can this be done?
The body and sleeves, yes; but I don't know about cuffs. That sounds more expensive.

In fact I just got back a few minutes ago from dropping off a Roundtree and Yorke Gold Label shirt from Dillards at my alterations shop to be slimmed down. Even though I am slender at 5'9" 150 pounds, my neck size is larger than my body size would otherwise indicate; therefore, even slim fit shirts are often too big for me through the body.

Cruiser

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.