Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the taller guy, on the left.

https://imageshack.us
https://g.imageshack.us/img521/helpzzmt1.jpg/1/

I was wondering if the spread shirt collar makes my head look bigger and my neck wider. Would you people recommend a collar with less spread, maybe like the guy on the right? I am ordering a fresh batch of shirts and would appreciate any comments.

BTW, is the fit of the shoulders on my suit OK? I feel so, but at times they seem to be a little too wide.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
78 Posts
I don't like spread collars in general, so I'm somewhat biased.

That said, I think your overall look would be a bit more balanced with a point or button-down collar, especially if you go with the four-in-hand knot you appear to be wearing. I don't think the combination of a spread collar with a four-in-hand knot works very well, as the knot is too small relative to the space under the collar.

Conversely, your friend with the blue tie is on the other end of the spectrum. He appears to have a windsor knot, which looks too large for the space. A half windsor or a four-in-hand knot would look better with that collar.

Your jacket looks like it fits well. Your friend's looks a little big to me.

· Registered
8,536 Posts
I think a slightly narrower spread would be better, but the one you're wearing now is fine. It looks very formal. I disagree with gEEk on the point collar and especially on the button-down. Then again I don't like button-down collars with ties and I like the 4-in-hand knot with collars of all sizes. I think your narrow tie knot helps elongate your face. I think you are very well put together.

· Registered
2,163 Posts
+1 on the point collar. I don't thinks it's a big fashion crime, but I believe one's collar is supposed to even out one's face. If one has a wide face, then a point collar will make one's face look proportional. My face is a little long, for example, so I tend to wear spread collars.

· Registered
356 Posts
Another vote for less of a spread than you are wearing in that picture. It makes your neck and jaw line look too thick. Also, the tie looks out of proportion for that spread, but the knot should be fine for a more pointed collar.

I cannot tell for sure in the picture, but it does look like something in the shoulders is amiss. I could be that they are slightly too long in the pad, or also that the slope of the shoulder on the suit is too large for the slope of your shoulders. It looks like there might be some wrinkling on the top of the pad, which is a sign the slope is off. Again, it's hard to say from the picture but I'd have it looked at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.