Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all the dress shirts I have tried, I am in between a 15" and 15.5" neck. The 15 is way too restrictive and the 15.5 has noticeable gaps. Body size hasn't been an issue in the slim fit sizes. Custom is above my price range.

Would you advise buying the smaller and maybe using an extender or moving a button, or going with the larger and trying to shrink it?

Also, any advice for a store that carries multiple lines of quality shirts in NYC where I might be able to find a good fitting brand of shirt?

Thanks.

· Registered
1,947 Posts
In all the dress shirts I have tried, I am in between a 15" and 15.5" neck. The 15 is way too restrictive and the 15.5 has noticeable gaps. Body size hasn't been an issue in the slim fit sizes. Custom is above my price range.

Would you advise buying the smaller and maybe using an extender or moving a button, or going with the larger and trying to shrink it?

Also, any advice for a store that carries multiple lines of quality shirts in NYC where I might be able to find a good fitting brand of shirt?

Thanks.
This is a bit confusing because surely the 15.5 is bigger in the body.

So neck side aside, which fits your body best?

· Registered
970 Posts
go for the slightly larger size. I'm probably between a 14.5 and a 15. I buy 15 and then wash in warm water, then hang to dry. I never put them in the dryer. A tiny bit of shrinkage will occur in the collar after a few washings and the shirts end up being just right for wearing with a tie.

How big is the gap? Pictures would help. Are you used to wearing shirts buttoned at the top with a tie? If not the proper size may feel restrictive. It should not be outright uncomfortable to the point of pain, however.

· Registered
356 Posts
This is a bit confusing because surely the 15.5 is bigger in the body.
A lot of off the rack, in an effort to save money, will actually only change the body size of shirts when the neck size increases an entire inch. For instance a 15.5 and 15 may be the same in some off the rack brands, and the 16 and 16.5 will be the next body size larger.

That is not all brands, but many. In that case, I would suggest the 15.5, it may shrink and a little big is better than a little small in the neck I tend to think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.