Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed that the gorges on one of my favorite suits were sitting at slightly un-even levels; the left one was just a bit higher up on my collar bone than the right one. The difference was just enough to be noticed (I've had the jacket for 8 months and never noticed before) and when I took the jacket off and put it on a hanger they were perfectly even. This is a MTM jacket* that otherwise fits excellently.

This morning I woke up watching Morning Joe and was amazed to see NBC's David Gregory with his own shifty gorges. Just like with my jacket, his seemed to fit him very well aside from the shifty gorges.

Is this common? What might be the cause of this? I am not going to be terribly concerned about this unless someone more knowledgeable than me indicates a possible problem. *Of note: the gorge that was sitting lower was the right hand gorge. I have a drop right shoulder that was supposedly account for when the jacket was made - might that somehow have something to do with this? Or is this just the normal movement of the jacket from wear...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could it be that you did not put the jacket on properly ? If you slightly shift the jacket so that the gorges are even, does that throw off the button line and the jacket lengths?
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com
I think you are right Paul - after I shifted the jacket a bit and buttoned it they were much closer. Still just a smidge off but maybe this is 1) me being compulsive 2) the natural "give" associated with a bit of slack in the button shank and the supple worsted...

On David Gregory it was very noticeable. I think his jacket was buttoned...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump - any thoughts?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would suggest, but do not know for a fact, that when the jacket was made in an attempt to compensate for the low shoulder they missed slightly and the gorge rides just a little lower. I'm sure it's closer than an off the rack would be for shoulder alignment, but keep in mind it wasn't full bespoke, so if it's off a little that is possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.