Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ What brand(s)? Where are the holes? How big are they? What do you do for a living? Are you a trainee in your local police department's bomb squad?
Just an average white collar male. I bought three BB red fleece Shetlands in Fall 2014. They fit me relatively well, not too tight and not too baggy like LL Beans. Holes around the neck and elbow

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Just an average white collar male. I bought three BB red fleece Shetlands in Fall 2014. They fit me relatively well, not too tight and not too baggy like LL Beans. Holes around the neck and elbow
I own two BB Red Fleece Shetlands and, so far, haven't had an issue.

I'm just throwing out some ideas here. The elbows holes you note could occur if you rest / rub your elbows on your desktop for hours a day as you type and if you are wearing the sweaters a lot. That can be a lot of stress on on that one tiny area of the material. The neck ones could result if in taking it on and off, the "tugging" over your head creates a lot of stress. If you are wearing them a lot, then this twice-a-day stress is happening a lot.

I'm just thinking it through with the above observations and could be all wrong. Mine have gotten, what I'll call, medium wear, and have held up well. That said, they are, IMHO, only a medium quality Shetland (and only cost a "medium" price) - O'Connells Shetlands cost more than twice and are - I believe - more than twice as well made.

Last thought - in response to your comment - even the O'Connells Shetlands, as well made as they are, aren't, IMHO, made to last forever / absorbs very hard long-term stressful wearing. And, for sure, the more modestly made BB Red Fleece ones aren't. As a comparison, I think the North Sea sweaters - made of a much tighter and heavier weave - are closer to "life" sweaters than Shetland (which can last a lifetime, but not if they are ridden hard and put away wet). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
It sounds like you're wearing these sweaters quite often. The answer is to acquire more Shetland sweaters and rotate them between wearings. Wool sweaters need a little "recovery time" so they don't succumb to excessive wear. Because I'm a thrift store nut, I have enough sweaters to go a couple weeks without wearing the same one on two consecutive days.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My spirit of shetland sweater lasted one season lol. I wore it all the time though and wasn't surprised. I have two from O'Connells now and they seem to be wearing better - a bit thicker/more substantial (which I actually don't like - it's the one thing I don't like about them), but because I have two they are clearly wearing better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.