Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
The first isn't Shetland wool and the second ain't great but ain't bad either.

Il Bean's Shetlands while somewhat thin are a great cheap alternative to the others. One, and I, can wear them in situations where otherwise a nicer sweater could be ruined.

Mind you though that Cable Car's are psychotically overpriced and Spirt of Shetland makes a custom-made item so the comparison isn't quite one-to-one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cable Car's are 158 on the interweb...much more in their brick and mortar store I discovered.

As far as the wool is concerned--I found Cable Car's version to be quite light, warm, and comfortable. But then there's that price tag. Is S.O.S. the best value for the money?

Or, per dollar, is Bean the way to go? d

·
Registered
778 Posts
I mean you really get what you pay for. If you want something inexpensive, I think ll bean will do it for ya.

Also, J.Press has it for $8 less than CCC.
Yeah, but the Shaggy Dog is a different animal altogether from the others. Press went back to the old manufacturer for this year's stock so they are once again baggy, heavy and gloriously brushed.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Last I checked, Ben Silver had some of last year's Shetlands on sale, but still pricey. If you bought Bean you would get good value, if you bought something like Cable Car, you'll get a better sweater at an outrageous price, and ditto Ben Silver.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
The only shetland Brooks seems to have available currently is this one. Which source is best for you depends on what you want the sweater for. If you're looking for something nicer, you'll probably want to stay away from the LLB one. But if you're just going for something simple and casual to knock around in, the cheapy is probably a good choice.

I've got an LLB vest in burgundy from last winter, but it's too soon to really be able to evaluate the quality.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Shetlands

My friend

I would shy from Brooks Brothers shetlands. They have been made elsewhere, and are of poor quality. I recommend JD Mc George. Which O Connols in Buffalo has. Of old stock. Bought a couple last year. J D MGeorge is an old firm. That does not do them anymore for some time now. You get the very best out of this sweater. Beautiful colors, and the finest. And about that price you pay for the Brooks Brothers. Also, compared to MC George, there are no shetlands that are as good as this my friend. Not the shaggy dog, not the Andover shop and definitely not Ben Silver, which charges an arm and leg.
Again, J D Mc George old stock at O Connels Lucas shelf in Buffalo.
Nice day

·
Registered
754 Posts
+1 on McGeorge. Bought one last year from O'Connell's and it is very nice.

I want to like the Shaggy Dogs but for me they are just that. I feel like I'm wearing a coat of fur.

The Ben Silvers are beautiful but the price is steep.

Brooks did offer some decent Shetlands 2-3 years ago but no longer seem to. BTW the Brooks lambswool and merino sweaters are very chintzy; extremely thin. Their cashmeres on the other hand are glorious (thick, well made, good fitting, terrific colors) but I can only afford one per year.

Good luck.

tjs

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I have two or three (I can't remember if I bought two last year and they're in the attic for now) of the Brooks ones (1st link posted above). I know I have a marled green and a blue, just not sure about the third. Boy is that maddening!

Anyhow, I bought them the last two years for 1/2 price at the end of the season - March. For that price ($45) they are nice sweaters. They do pill, but I like 'em that way - sort of roughed up.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Bean and CCC

Anyone have sizing advice on the LL Bean sweaters? Do they run large? Small?

With most garments, I'm almost always right between "M" and "L"....
I am normally a 42R in a suit, and the Large from Bean fits me very well. I also have a Kelly Green Shetland from CCC (during their 40% sale in February) that I had to size up to a 44 (they use number sizing). Both fill their respective niches nicely.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Brooks source of real Shetland wool knitwear made in the Shetlands used to be Judane of Lerwick, defunct since 2005.

At least some of CCC's knitwear has been reported to be made by www.harleyofscotland.com

Caveat emptor in re non-O'Connell's McGeorge knitwear out there. Whoever bought the name has been sticking the label in Chinese made knitwear of dubious quality. Ditto Alan Paine.

Suspect a significant amount of the shaggy Shetlands, no matter the brand, derive from Laurence Odie Knitwear of Yell. No web site.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Caveat emptor in re non-O'Connell's McGeorge knitwear out there. Whoever bought the name has been sticking the label in Chinese made knitwear of dubious quality. Ditto Alan Paine.

Suspect a significant amount of the shaggy Shetlands, no matter the brand, derive from Laurence Odie Knitwear of Yell. No web site.
That's very good to know, thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.