Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of them ?

Either in the cardigan or just sweaters with shawl collars ?

Who makes them nowadays - apart from Ralph Lauren (and Gant copying) - AND who wears them ?

I have a Rugby one - very tight, nice looking, for coll weather. Now I want a more open one - to wear with a tie. I saw a wonderful blazer-like sweater - with a crest and gold buttons - cashmere - but missed at the shop. Maybe I will get in London in autumn.

Andrey

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
What do you think of them ?

Either in the cardigan or just sweaters with shawl collars ?

Who makes them nowadays - apart from Ralph Lauren (and Gant copying) - AND who wears them ?

I have a Rugby one - very tight, nice looking, for coll weather. Now I want a more open one - to wear with a tie. I saw a wonderful blazer-like sweater - with a crest and gold buttons - cashmere - but missed at the shop. Maybe I will get in London in autumn.

Andrey
They are:

- Handsome
- Classic
- Comfortable
- Versatile

Lot's of different jobbers make them, Polo makes nothing, but sells some. I wear them. Beware shawl collar sweaters where the collars are pieced. Cheaper to make, but looks tacky.

Slip-on's look good under casual outerwear, and some odd jackets. The button front version with pockets can serve as an alternative to an odd jacket, particularly in navy, or simply be a comfortable item on a cold winter's night at home.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have one from the GAP which I keep in my office in case I'm cold. I also wear it with a tie when doing something where a suit is impractical (as the sweater can be washed), but don't want to look like a fashion victim.

Thomas

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I wear a channel-knit, grey version, with wooden buttons. It's one of my favorites. I really like wearing it with a tie or sometimes with a scarf. It always makes me feel like a literary intellectual.

They're comfortable, warm, and versatile in terms of formality. I also appreciate that, while they're certainly classic, they're also slightly unusual in this day and age. The real classic version is camel hair, but these can be a bit steep.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Shawl collars have been a big trend the last few years. I suspected we'd start seeing fewer of them, but they're proving pretty tenacious. Spotted them in the new fall merch at BR, and I just picked up a couple of new ones in wool/cashmere from Ralph.

Here's the type of guy who wears them:

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
...They're comfortable, warm, and versatile in terms of formality. I also appreciate that, while they're certainly classic, they're also slightly unusual in this day and age. The real classic version is camel hair, but these can be a bit steep.
Like this?

NICE!
As empty nester's, the wife and I keep the temps in the house turned down a bit, during the winter months. Hence, shawl collar cardigans and other sweater/vest options are a regular part of my wardrobe during the late fall and winter months. I was fortunate, a while back, to find the Orvis camel hair version on sale...saved almost $200. LL Bean and Lands End merino wool versions are also part of my rotation. To my eye, they are a classic! ;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
They're comfortable, warm, and versatile in terms of formality. I also appreciate that, while they're certainly classic, they're also slightly unusual in this day and age. The real classic version is camel hair, but these can be a bit steep.
Hello,
Here is a camel hair version from William Lockie available at Berk in the Burlington Arcade:

Hope this is of interest,
Chris.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
My favorite knitwear. I own twenty-something in various yarns, most RL. Have sold some on eBay that I would have kept had they been in my size, including cashmeres in chalk stripe, fair isle and guncheck. Some consider the style a bit grandpaw-ish. That's OK.

In addition to Orvis and Berk, the William Lockie ones often appear at Paul Stuart and (?)Cable Car Clothiers.

For the past couple of seasons Lands' End has stocked some relatively modest priced ones and there were recently a few from last season in Overstocks. I recall a cashmere reduced to $200.

About the best of the more rugged outdoor versions was the Greasewool Sweater Coat (earlier it was also offered in 8 ply cashmere) made in PA by French Creek Sheep and Wool Co. I think French Creek is defunct although the web site lives on in cyberspace www.frenchcreeksw.com > shop online > Men's sweaters. Once every 7th blue moon a French Creek sweater will pop up on eBay, sometimes new. Sad.

PRL has consistently offered shawl collar cardigans since the early '70s, as exemplified by the '77 winter catalogue page below. (Don't know if it's true, but I was told that prior to the early '80s the shawl collar cable cardigans were made by an individual in his Brooklyn basement.) The offerings this, and last, seasons require going up a size or two for a practical fit unless you're young, lean and prone to the faddish. And even when up-fitting a size or two the length may be too short.

(I'd beg to differ about the "pieced" collar. In Polo's case the "seams" are actually where the yarn ribbing changes directions. And better ones usually have a double thickness collar.)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
6 Ply. Wear would you wear that? The most I like is 3 ply. I guest there isn't any heat in the castle.
Yarns vary in thickness. So, a 2-ply in one yarn has not necessarily the same heft as a 2-ply in another yarn. Ply only indicates a single strand, 2-ply indicates two strands twisted together, etc. Knitting yarns can be even more confusing. Apples and oranges.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.