Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,I decided to go ahead and complete my eveningwear collection and spring for a shawl collar dj,and I have a few questions about the accessories:

Should I wear my pleated front laydown collar shirt?I have a marcella front.detachable collar shirt,but I've never liked the look of a wing colar with a shawl.I suppose I could get a starched detachable laydown collar,though.

I know a cummerbund is preferable,but is there anything inherently wrong with a low cut waistcoat with a shawl (I would wear my black wool three button with satin lapels)?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Personally, I think the straighness of the pleats conflicts with the curvature of shawl lapels.

You are right to avoid wing collars with shawl lapels. They just don't work together.

A low-cut formal vest with shawl lapels looks nice with a shawl lapel dinner jacket, IMO.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Agreed. I like the idea of the waistcoat and marcella front (with turndown collar) and the shawl lapel. Sounds very classic, and also very classy. I imagine you only need a glass of champagne in your hand now to celebrate your sartorial elegance.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
The second one is not a wing collar.
I know. However, the second illustration does show a (white) low cut waistcoat, as its appropriateness was what the OP asked about. The same illustration show a very high collared stiff detachable collar. It is not a standard attached, soft collar turn down collar at all.

I would kill to be able to bespeak some collars like the one in the first illustration. Notice the striking angle of the wings, which go out almost sideways, on an otherwise very high starched collar. They just don't make them like they used to. The first illustration also shows a black three button waistcoat worn with shawl collar "dress lounge".

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would kill to be able to bespeak some collars like the one in the first illustration. Notice the striking angle of the wings, which go out almost sideways, on an otherwise very high starched collar. They just don't make them like they used to.
Have you approached Luke Eyres?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Wing collar and low cut vest looks very good to my eye when worn with a wide and full bellied shawl DJ that has an English or American cut.
Narrow shawls and sack cut work best with laydown collars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.