Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,681 Posts
Alterations charges can add up fast. I have a sewing machine and don't know how to use it, but would like to learn.
I think that every middle or high school should include in its curriculum a course on basic cooking and on basic sewing. Mandatory. For all students. The social justice warriors may bitch and moan, but I'm just being practical.

Websites, books, and videos will help to an extent. Better yet, see if there's an older woman in the neighborhood who knows her way around a sewing machine and who, in exchange for a mutually-acceptable fee, will sit with you and teach you how to do alterations. Good old-fashioned one-on-one instruction is still the best way to go.

· Registered
3,681 Posts
^^Didn't they used to offer sewing and cooking classes in Junior High School Home Economics programs? I seem to recall that they did. :icon_scratch:
They sure did when I was in junior high school-but only for the girls. Guys were assigned either a wood shop or a metal shop course-and they didn't have a say in the matter.

I was required to take metal shop. Under duress, the first thing I learned how to make was an ash tray.

Guess how many times since then I have needed to make a metal ash tray. Now guess how many times it would have behooved me to be able to cook or sew.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.