Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon the UPS guy dropped a parcel from Orvis at my front door...a Beretta English wool Tweed coat, stock #S289C9. Though crafted of a rather robust tweed fabric, the garment is surprisingly soft to the touch and comes with a quilted vest that buttons into the coat, for wear during colder weather. Minimal padding in the shoulders, bi-swing gussets in the back of the jacket, and excellent tailoring add up to a rather nice jacket! :)

·
37,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eagle, picture? Link? You're just teasing us here.
Good point. The web site is www.orvis.com and then go to their sale outlet page. The coat was originally listed for $750, but reduced to $499. Made of English wool, but tailored in Italy, I found the coat sizing to be a bit on the small side (odd for an Orvis offering!) and had to go to a size 46 to get a good fit (after the sleeves are shortened just a bit). Hope this helps! :)

·
Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
8,748 Posts
Good point. The web site is www.orvis.com and then go to their sale outlet page. The coat was originally listed for $750, but reduced to $499. Made of English wool, but tailored in Italy, I found the coat sizing to be a bit on the small side (odd for an Orvis offering!) and had to go to a size 46 to get a good fit (after the sleeves are shortened just a bit). Hope this helps! :)
You didn't tell us that they'd used you for the product shot!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
^Hey Eagle, that sounds nice, I think I'll look it up.

I just down sized my laptop and while not yet in the bag, I'm seriously considering pullin the trigger on one of these.
Holy Schnikeys! That's one of the funniest posts of all time. And nobody even bothered to comment???

Okay, I'll comment. Here's the chronology as I see it.

In may of 2006, a former member named jmorgan32 told a surprising story about his visit to a Doctor in the South who offered him some moonshine from the fridge in his clinic.

You (A. Squire) chimed in, saying that you have access to "apple pie" moonshine, via your father-in-law's fridge.

In July of 2006, I posted for how to disguise the moonshine one keeps in the fridge at the clinic, and also a recipe for Jello shooters. Admittedly, this was pure theory on my part, as I don't drink alcohol, but it sounded like a funny idea.

Tragically, by October of that year, the "A. Squire family" had lost a beloved family pet, due to your archery hobby.
No mention of whether or not there were moonshine jello shooters involved or not, but it was a sad day for all.

Go ahead and "pull the trigger" on this purchase if you feel you must, but try to always remember the emotional upheaval that your children must have experienced the last time you carried a weapon like that.

Perhaps moonshine and leather bags shouldn't mix.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Just ordered:

Navy pin dot tie from Benson and Clegg

2 square bottom knit ties from LandsEnd in black and gray

Might get soon, still undecided:

Cheaney black cap toes (any experience with these?)

Charcoal private label undarted suit from O'Connell's.

·
37,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^Hey Eagle, that sounds nice, I think I'll look it up.

I just down sized my laptop and while not yet in the bag, I'm seriously considering pullin the trigger on one of these.
LOL! That looks pretty good but, a bandoleer or two of ammunition, draped casually over your shoulders, would really make the outfit work for you! ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
i really need to stop acquiring new things. Enough already. That being said, so far I've picked up a replacement Barbour Beaufort, though I don't intend to fully retire my 10 year old jacket, a pair of BB split toe shoes, and a merino wool sweater in hunter green. I also aquired a BB credit card - uh oh.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
You didn't tell us that they'd used you for the product shot!
Or that A. Squire shot the product before they could get the product shot!
Okay, maybe not very funny, but it was certainly worth a shot. Well, shoot!
Now my whole reputation is shot, so what do I do?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Your entire gag has been shot to hell.
Yeah, I sorta blew it, didn't I? Oh well, it could have been worse. Don't know if any of you witnessed the fireworks this morning, but A. Squire hit the forum with both guns blazing.

He recalled how Patrick has nicknamed the bow tie a Republican Nose ring, yet there are none present at the convention. Sort of blows a hole in Patrick's theory, don't you think?

Quay shot back with a comment about how bows are too elitist for the convention, and might provide the dems with more ammunition in their clas swarfare rhetoric.

Alan C. fired a warning shot across the bow, warning that these two hooligans were gunning for the interchange .

Alan C. didn't have to bring out the heavy artillery after all, however. Squire opted not to go out in a blaze of glory, as some of the young guns around here might have done. Instead, he hit the edit button with both barrels, leaving the rest of us to wonder what was removed.

In the aftermath of the standoff, I don't have any silver bullet answers to the question of how we might place photos of politicians on this forum without being shot down by Alan C.

But I do have one question still. Squire, does that bag come in gunmetal blue?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, I sorta blew it, didn't I? Oh well, it could have been worse. Don't know if any of you witnessed the fireworks this morning, but A. Squire hit the forum with both guns blazing.

He recalled how Patrick has nicknamed the bow tie a Republican Nose ring, yet there are none present at the convention. Sort of blows a hole in Patrick's theory, don't you think?

Quay shot back with a comment about how bows are too elitist for the convention, and might provide the dems with more ammunition in their clas swarfare rhetoric.

Alan C. fired a warning shot across the bow, warning that these two hooligans were gunning for the interchange .

Alan C. didn't have to bring out the heavy artillery after all, however. Squire opted not to go out in a blaze of glory, as some of the young guns around here might have done. Instead, he hit the edit button with both barrels, leaving the rest of us to wonder what was removed.

In the aftermath of the standoff, I don't have any silver bullet answers to the question of how we might place photos of politicians on this forum without being shot down by Alan C.

But I do have one question still. Squire, does that bag come in gunmetal blue?
I see that you have taken dead aim at keeping this going, and in doing so, have brought out the big guns.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.