Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy gentlemen (and ladies):

Been ages since I posted but I have a wedding to attend in 2 weeks and the verbal instructions was " all men in Tux" which is fine by me as I deem that fairly appropriate for a wedding that is slated to start at 5.30pm (I know 6pm is the official time for Tux et al.)

I had this interesting idea to break away from the norm (sacrilege) by wearing a black & pink bowtie with one of my shawl collared, single button Tux because I'm bored of the routine plain Black bowtie. :)

Is this a yah or nah? Please share your respected opinions on this. See the picture of the bowtie below

Tie Bow tie Textile Sleeve Undergarment

Attachments

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I think that, if you'd like to deviate from traditional black tie, the place to do so would be the cummerbund not the bow tie. Others may disagree, but it's called black tie for a reason. Why not try a tartan or cummerbund?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that, if you'd like to deviate from traditional black tie, the place to do so would be the cummerbund not the bow tie. Others may disagree, but it's called black tie for a reason. Why not try a tartan or cummerbund?
I appreciate your recommendation and would put it into consideration.

·
Registered
532 Posts
While I personally think a black and pink bowtie would be the bee's knees, Hardline may have a point; Flusser bears him out, advocating a dash of color in the vest or cummerbund if one is minded to do so, rather than the bowtie.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I personally think a black and pink bowtie would be the bee's knees, Hardline may have a point; Flusser bears him out, advocating a dash of color in the vest or cummerbund if one is minded to do so, rather than the bowtie.
Thanks for your appreciation of my bowtie color choice and the response. I was trying to add color to the ensemble subtly. :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
I recently acquired an ancient madder cummerbund and bow tie set from Brooks Brothers. It's dark blue and really very lovely. I'd consider wearing it to the opera. I've also seen madras bow tie and cummerbund sets, which I'd love to wear in the summer!

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Stay with the black bow tie. It's been in good taste for over a century for good reason.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently acquired an ancient madder cummerbund and bow tie set from Brooks Brothers. It's dark blue and really very lovely. I'd consider wearing it to the opera. I've also seen madras bow tie and cummerbund sets, which I'd love to wear in the summer!
The BB madder set sounds like a great acquisition. I recently, out of greed, acquired 2 vintage sets (cummerbund, bowtie and pocket square in Strawberry paisley and teal paisley) but have only used the bow ties alone with some suits/sportcoats.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
This might be OK for some venues, but for a life event it would be safer to stick with black.

I do not match the cummerbund to the tie -- it always looks like (senior) staff to me. Burgundy, Vatican red, or bottle green are good colors for the cummerbund (I assume the DJ is black) and I recommend springing for some Copleys.

White or ivory silk PS in a conservative fold or puff for the ceremony, and red for the reception.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stay with the black bow tie. It's been in good taste for over a century for good reason.
Thanks Jovan, I'll heed to the wisdom you have all shared.

I'm with the others. Keep the bow tie black and have fun with the cummerbund if you must. The patterned bow ties are not for black tie.
Thanks Matt, I'll try the cummerbund when dressing up and if I don't like it, I'd stick to the standard black tie ensemble with a white silk pocket square.

Perhaps a dash of color in the pocket square?
Thanks Jack, I thought of trying a burgundy silk pocket square so I would also look into that option.

This might be OK for some venues, but for a life event it would be safer to stick with black.

I do not match the cummerbund to the tie -- it always looks like (senior) staff to me. Burgundy, Vatican red, or bottle green are good colors for the cummerbund (I assume the DJ is black) and I recommend springing for some Copleys.

White or ivory silk PS in a conservative fold or puff for the ceremony, and red for the reception.
Thanks Orsini, as I mentioned to Jack, I think the I may go the route of the color PS and I like the "White or ivory silk PS in a conservative fold or puff for the ceremony, and red for the reception" advice. It seems to be the safest route to take in my quest for color. Quick question, would the standard black paired to a paisley cummerbund (with a burgundy background) and a matching PS be over the top?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I try to avoid exact fabric matching. It ends up looking like you bought it as a set (which you did, but you know what I mean). Why not pick up one of the paisely colors in a white pocket square with a colored edge? Also, there's no rule that says you can't wear a boutonniere to add some color, though I would play it by ear.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I try to avoid exact fabric matching. It ends up looking like you bought it as a set (which you did, but you know what I mean). Why not pick up one of the paisely colors in a white pocket square with a colored edge? Also, there's no rule that says you can't wear a boutonniere to add some color, though I would play it by ear.
Thanks, I have decided to go the route Orsini recommended.............. "White PS during the wedding and Red PS at the reception"

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
...would the standard black paired to a paisley cummerbund (with a burgundy background) and a matching PS be over the top?
A lot of this depends on the overall tone of the event -- which you are never 100% certain of until you get there -- and your personality.
I could wear this if the ground is fairly dark and the wedding is right for it, but only you can tell that.

I don't recommend matching the PS to the cummerbund. You don't want to do anything that starts to look like a set.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A lot of this depends on the overall tone of the event -- which you are never 100% certain of until you get there -- and your personality.
I could wear this if the ground is fairly dark and the wedding is right for it, but only you can tell that.

I don't recommend matching the PS to the cummerbund. You don't want to do anything that starts to look like a set.
Thanks again for your excellent advice. I am going to go with your initial recommendation of switching between a white PS and a red one. Unfortunately, the cummerbund and PS came as a set and might not be a good place to wear this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.