Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted a three-piece seersucker suit.

With Brooks, Haspel and J Press having their end of season sales on seersucker, would it be possible for a tailor to turn the material from an additional suitjacket or sportcoat into a vest?

Anyone ever done this?

Anyone know of a tailor who would?

Any idea of an approximate cost?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I had a blue/white pincord 3-piece summer suit (2-button sack from a long-defunct Milwaukee-area shop) about thirty years ago...Penang Lawyer is correct--you run the risk of being the butt of Col. Sanders jokes.

Forewarned is forearmed.;)

Good luck.

hbs

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
You might look into BB's Select program. I'm not sure if you can order a vest with a suit, but it couldn't hurt to ask, and the cost, especially for seersucker, may be cheaper than buying an extra jacket.

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
Whether the cloth from a suit/sc can be used to make a vest depends on the size vest that is needed. The width of the back panels of the jacket will limit the size of the vest. Perhaps the store where you purchase the suit can get you an extra yard of cloth. You can also consider making a contrast vest- linen would be a possibilty.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'd be shocked if you couldn't find a better alternative than sacrificing a perfectly good jacket. For the cost of this option, you could surely get an altogether better MTM suit made up. Someone mentioned BB Select above - they would surely have a vest option. If they didn't, look into more expensive/comprehensive MTM programs. Since seersucker is a fairly inexpensive material, you could likely look at programs that are generally more expensive than you would consider for a wool suit.

EDIT: I forgot the whole bit about sale prices being offered right now. While that certainly makes a difference, I still say that seersucker is cheap enough that you should at least consider MTM. You may even find some MTM programs putting summer suitings on sale...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Ahem

Uh, Colonel? Do you, ah say, do you really want a vest to go with you all's seahsuckuh suit? Why not click on the photo?

No need to thank me, I'm always happy to help out a fellow traveler.

All seriousness aside though, you could always go crazy and pair the mint green vest with these trousers.
Whatever seersucker jacket you choose, this outfit is sure to please the diabetics and gray mongers of the world.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I was ready to buy one of these suits the second I saw it given the great prices. Alas, the single-breasted jacket is only offered with a center vent. Trads might fight me on this, but I just can't get on board. Maybe if they actually took the time to do a hooked/lapped-seam center vent.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hmmmm....

Not to throw a wet blanket on the discussion, but isn't the whole idea of a seersucker suit that it's lighter weight and the cotton fabric will breathe, thereby allowing the wearer to stay cooler? I don't know where all of y'all live, but down here, if it's hot enough for us to break out our seersuckers, the last thing the average southerner wants to do is put an extra layer of material between himself and the outside world?

Perhaps with the advent of air conditioning, it doesn't matter as much, but when you're outside, I would imagine a three piece suit just makes things hotter, so I guess I don't really understand the point.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Even with my really sharp two-piece BB seersucker suit, a lady once commented that I looked like someone's grandfather at the county fair. She can go scratch, but remember that not everyone sees things the way we do! Bill
Seersucker definitely plays better in the South than it does in the North.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Seersucker definitely plays better in the South than it does in the North.
Exactly. I often split the suit and wear the jacket with navy trousers, or vice versa. However, I do follow the no-seersucker-after-Labor Day notion, so tomorrow is a sad day! One of my partners has a Haspel version that has much narrower pins, or wales, than BB (please correct my terminology). It looks less seersuckerish and more like a lightly colored suit. Frank Stella in New York seems to be the place for those. Bill

·
Registered
280 Posts
Exactly. I often split the suit and wear the jacket with navy trousers, or vice versa. However, I do follow the no-seersucker-after-Labor Day notion, so tomorrow is a sad day! One of my partners has a Haspel version that has much narrower pins, or wales, than BB (please correct my terminology). It looks less seersuckerish and more like a lightly colored suit. Frank Stella in New York seems to be the place for those. Bill
Sounds like your partner may have a pincord suit.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.