Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and just bought my first seersucker suit. I am planning on wearing it to an upcoming local Steeplechase event and would prefer not to wear a tie (the event will run most of the day, from 9AM to mid/late afternoon). I know that tradition is to wear a tie and that if this were a wedding or more formal event, I wouldn't hesitate to wear one. Since this is a fun, informal event (and for the sake of daylong comfort), am I ok to wear the full searsucker and white open collar, sans tie? Perhaps add a pocket square?

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I am new to the forum and just bought my first seersucker suit. I am planning on wearing it to an upcoming local Steeplechase event and would prefer not to wear a tie (the event will run most of the day, from 9AM to mid/late afternoon). I know that tradition is to wear a tie and that if this were a wedding or more formal event, I wouldn't hesitate to wear one. Since this is a fun, informal event (and for the sake of daylong comfort), am I ok to wear the full searsucker and white open collar, sans tie? Perhaps add a pocket square?
I would advise against it, though seersucker is sufficiently informal that you can get away with it. Suits without ties really are not ideal. If you like seersucker but don't want to wear a tie, then wear some linen trousers with your seersucker jacket, or wear your seersucker trousers with a solid summer sport coat. Sans tie this would be the perfect opportunity to wear a ribbon belt for a bit of color.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I spent quite a bit of time in Dothan Alabama and briefly in other southern parts a life time ago. I don't recall ever seeing a seersucker suit without a bow tie. I dito Mr. Petrik advice. Remove the "suit" remove the need for a tie. His outfit sounds ideal. To my tooth - I respect the look made with an undone bow tie, at the end of a long evening or long hot day. I may be projecting but I don't have call to wear my seersucker suit often so I jump at the chance. Don't forget the boutonniere!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Wear a tie. I've done Gold Cup and Foxfield for about the last 7 years. The drunker I get, the happier I am to be wearing a tie. I may be totally schnockered but at least I don't look like half as much a slob as others in my chalet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.