Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, there, I'm going to be commissioning my first pair of riding breeches from my tailor using some cavalry twill with patches on the inner calves, and want some advice.

First, length: I've used only lycra jodhpurs with short chelsea boots, but I'm looking to get knee-length English riding boots at some stage compatible with my new pair, so I think a pair ending at the ankles (as opposed to the bottom of the kneecap) would work best in my situation with regards compatibility?

Second, I've seen fastening at the ends using laces, buttons, or a combination of laces and buttons. Which would be best?

Third, I've also seen versions with a strap at the bottoms that go around the foot, to prevent the breeches from riding up the calf. This seemed to be popular with Regency pantaloons (à la Beau Brummell). Would this be fine, considering it would be the appropriate length?

If you'd like illustrations regarding these points, I'll post them, but please dispense your advice from experience, it would be helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Henwortschmidt,

Breeches I’ve had made had buttons at the ankle, but they were cut so well that they wouldn’t have ridden up even without some sort of closure at the ankle. You’re not likely to have any problem here.

The material is apt be a bigger problem. I don’t think the cavalry twill that is usually used for trousers will hold up very well. For that reason, I also think it would be best to have the seat in leather as well as the inner calves.

The tailor I used specialized in riding apparel and probably took other things into account that I would never have thought of. In any case, the results were worth the investment.

FWIW.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.