Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to add a second suit and wanted to try something different than the usual standard single breasted one

should I go for a double breasted one or a three piece suit?
both are generally regarded as looking a bit more formal, and i feel i can use it for important ceremonies, weddings, meeting important visitors, etc.

which would you go for?

on a related note i did pick up a double breasted twill blazer, and ive found it very form fitting, making my waist look more slender and shoulders broader. quite a few people complimented me on it.. so it does make me a bit more favorable to a db suit.

· Registered
2,971 Posts
I was wearing a very nice DB suit yesterday and I have to admit if you just have a bit of a belly (me) it does a nice job of wrapping the fat! So the net effect is a bit slimming at least on me. If you are quite a bit heavier my gut feeling (pun intended) is that the vest on the three piece can help hide the beef! But to your point - clothing is supposed to make you look better, hide deficiencies while emphasizing positive attributes.

Two points - a DB as well as a 3 piece with a vest will both have the effect of being warmer. Of course the you can always elect to not wear the vest if the temperatures are warm so it does give a bit of flexibility that you might not otherwise have. IF you are looking for a more formal suit then my bias is the DB - when well done it gives the best look short of black tie.

· Registered
14,999 Posts
What’s wrong with a second suit with a different fabric, pattern or other details?

I don’t care for the look of a 3-piece personally. I’d opt for the DB if the choice is only between the two.

just be careful; a double breasted suit is not easy to fit off the rack, provided you can find one. If you’re going that route, go somewhere and have it made to measure.

· Registered
2,971 Posts
What's wrong with a second suit with a different fabric, pattern or other details?

I don't care for the look of a 3-piece personally. I'd opt for the DB if the choice is only between the two.

just be careful; a double breasted suit is not easy to fit off the rack, provided you can find one. If you're going that route, go somewhere and have it made to measure.
Both my DB as well as 3 piece are MTM/Bespoke respectively. I have backed off on bespoke since it is so much time/energy spent (at least for me) and really good MTM fits me just as well. I have about 30 suits - only one DB and only one 3 piece. But for me it is so hot in TN they become more single season (winter) suits and I prefer 3 season suits.

· Registered
4,166 Posts
I prefer DBs to SBs. Having said that, a 3-piece suit does give you the option of wearing as a two piece or three-piece. And you could always do what I did which was to have a 3-piece with wide peak lapels, giving you some of that peak lapel goodness you get with a DB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.