Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sean Jean has launched his "I Am King" fragrance with print ads and a gigantic billboard in Times Square, I understand, which some of you may have already seen:

https://www.mimifroufrou.com/scentedsalamander/2008/10/sean_john_i_am_king_the_ad_per.html

Now, I have no comment regarding the product, but that is one heck of a DJ he's wearing, no? There's just a couple of issues, perhaps, and I wanted to see what you all thought:

-Is the sleeve length right (on the extended right arm)? A little hard to see, but the shirt cuff rests just about 1/4" above the flare of the wrist, with the coat cuff 1/4" above that.

-Is the placement of the single button a bit too low, resulting in a too-elongated gorge? Or is the slight elongation an elegantly improved line?

-Oh, and it appears that the lapel facing is satin rather than self.

-Also, there are only two studs showing, with a third probably hidden by the coat's lapel. Does that mean the stud opening placement has been extended downward?

-Are you digging the black pocket square?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
In most of the South Labor Day marks the end of seersucker, white, and several other things my wife must remind me about. Sort of the eleventh commandment, and broken with the same frequency we break the other ten at least well into October.

That jacket could be self faced. I can't see it well enough to tell. I agree about buying his stuff, but if you search "Peak Lapel" on eBay he comes up a lot.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Most young people in the inner city associate nice clothes with bankers, stock brokers and other business men that they have no connection with.

When someone like Jay-Z or Sean Combs makes the effort to dress up and show it to people as a cool thing to aspire to, I applaud them.

Even if their suits are not that well made, or their tie knots are too big - at least they are trying.

·
Registered
188 Posts
At the EOD I prefer to see a suit instead of a saggy jeans and Tshirt.
I think we need to understand that he's in the entertainment business and if boost his sells he'd be stupid not to advertise them(Suit,fragrances, etc etc).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I actually have a Sean John cardigan that my mother bought me once (from Ross I think) not knowing the label and thinking it looked academic. My personal feelings toward the company would have meant that I wouldn't have considered buying it myself, but I'm happy that she bought it for me as it's a really nice garment. Good heavy wool, interesting buttons, and the inside face of where the buttonholes are is reinforced with a fine grained suede, so it holds its shape well. It's a nice touch. Overall, I like the sweater a lot and it would be one of the things I'd mention if I ran across a thread with a title like "Things you like from labels you don't"

Edit: Clicking through the link, I also like the dinner jacket, seasonal appropriateness not withstanding.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, . . .

. . . so we have opinions about Mr. Combs, his clothes, etc.

Is anyone going to address my question?

·
Registered
90 Posts
-Is the sleeve length right (on the extended right arm)? A little hard to see, but the shirt cuff rests just about 1/4" above the flare of the wrist, with the coat cuff 1/4" above that.
Looks alright to me, a little more cuff showing would be nice, but the jacket sleeves look right.

-Is the placement of the single button a bit too low, resulting in a too-elongated gorge? Or is the slight elongation an elegantly improved line?
Yes, the button stance looks too low. The gorge (where the collar & lapels meet) is about where it should be.

-Oh, and it appears that the lapel facing is satin rather than self.
I cannot tell from that photo. Is the tradition to have self-faced lapels on a white DJ, rather than the satin/grosgrain ones on a black one?

-Also, there are only two studs showing, with a third probably hidden by the coat's lapel. Does that mean the stud opening placement has been extended downward?
I have no idea.

-Are you digging the black pocket square?
Yes, it looks nice. White would be visually a bit pointless, no?

I sure hope he has a cummerbund on under the jacket
(ducks and runs). And are those flap pockets??

Rgds.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Most young people in the inner city associate nice clothes with bankers, stock brokers and other business men that they have no connection with.

When someone like Jay-Z or Sean Combs makes the effort to dress up and show it to people as a cool thing to aspire to, I applaud them.

Even if their suits are not that well made, or their tie knots are too big - at least they are trying.
I believe Mr. Combs has said that he's trying to deglamorize the thug image in the eyes of youth (I'm 22, so I was in high school recently enough to see suburban youths trying to pull off a thug look). I think that's a good thing, and more power to him. Like the NBA enforcing a dress code, I think it adds an air of respectability, and I think it's for the better. I may perhaps be wrong, but I believe Combs also said that he would like to be (at least sartorially) a role model for black youth, as the professional athletes seem to have embraced the thug culture (both in look and actions), and that leaves a hole for respectable role models for the black community.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I believe Mr. Combs has said that he's trying to deglamorize the thug image in the eyes of youth (I'm 22, so I was in high school recently enough to see suburban youths trying to pull off a thug look).
I just read an interview with Akon, who is coming out with the truth about his past - his lurid criminal past was grossly exaggerated to give himself some "street cred."

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.