Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fallen and managed to get my C&J brown cordovans scuffed. These are my favourite shoe. The marks can be easily seen and felt and as an indication I managed to graze my knee too but seeing my cordovans hurt me more.

Is this terrible or will they simply fade with time. The first thing I did was to put a little brown Edward Green polish on. Probably made me feel better rather than the shoes.

Advice needed. Can cordovan stand stresses and strains better than calf? Can it take marks better?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Shell cordovan can be easily repaired. Although the classic method asks for a deer bone, I found a metal tea spoon works (almost) equally well.

Put he shoes onto a pair of good-fitting shoe trees. Onto the scratch add a generous dollop of shoe cream in a matching colour (shoe cream, the soft moist stuff in glass jars, not wax in tins). Take a tea spoon, hold by the handle, plunge your thumb into the bowl for added pressure and rub the back of the bowl in circular motions over the shoe cream and the scratch. The metal slides over the stuff and it’s almost as much fun, as playing with mud when you were a kid. Do that for a couple of minutes, wipe off the excess cream with a tissue and polish.

The scratch, if not disappeared, will have greatly improved.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Awesome!

:icon_smile:This is terrific advice. I have never heard of that before. However, I have scuffed my shell cordovan shoes before and the scratch does virtually go away with wax and elbow grease (would have used cream had I known better).

Thanks again!

Actually just got a pair of BB / Alden plain toe bluchers in shell cordovan. I got them during the semi annual sale but because of a return and them being out in my size I just got them yesterday. Have them on as I type trying to break them in around the house first.:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Maybe you can make a video and post it on youtube?

Shell cordovan can be easily repaired. Although the classic method asks for a deer bone, I found a metal tea spoon works (almost) equally well.

Put he shoes onto a pair of good-fitting shoe trees. Onto the scratch add a generous dollop of shoe cream in a matching colour (shoe cream, the soft moist stuff in glass jars, not wax in tins). Take a tea spoon, hold by the handle, plunge your thumb into the bowl for added pressure and rub the back of the bowl in circular motions over the shoe cream and the scratch. The metal slides over the stuff and it's almost as much fun, as playing with mud when you were a kid. Do that for a couple of minutes, wipe off the excess cream with a tissue and polish.

The scratch, if not disappeared, will have greatly improved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.