Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been reading and follwoing these forums for some time now and I have learned a lot about fashioin and style.

My question is this. I made the leap and purchased a new pair of AE Delrays in brown burnished calf. They are beautiful shoes, however, upon inspection after opening the box I noticed a scratch on them. I think it is too deep to be buffed out. I would love to get everyones thoughts on my situation. Should I return them? Or is a scrach like this expected and normal for a new pair?

Thank you.
XLT

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Looks a lot better than mine do now, but if you bought them new it is your right to put your own scratches and scuffs on them so back they go.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,769 Posts
I would keep them only if the pair was purchased as a pair of seconds. Otherwise, return them for a pristine pair of first quality shoes on which you may perpetrate the cause of the inaugural scaring! ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would keep them only if the pair was purchased as a pair of seconds. Otherwise, return them for a pristine pair of first quality shoes on which you may perpetrate the cause of the inaugural scaring! ;)
+1

If you keep them, the scratch looks like it can be buffed out. Start with creme. Then cover with wax. Might take 5 - 6 iterations. Where the scratch is, few will notice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
a .preview{display: none;}a:hover .preview{display: block;position: absolute;top: 0px; right:0px; z-index: 1;}.preview{border-color: #000;}
I would most likely return them but in all actuality I think that would more or less buff out and be no worse for wear. I have some Delrays in the same color great looking shoe.

·
Registered
935 Posts
^^ As eagle already said.

If you do decide to keep them, you can certainly make it almost new. I had a shopping cart wheel hit my C&J monks and it left a very large and nasty hit on the leather. I probably spent 2 hours on these shoes, conditioning and cleaning, applying polish, buffing with horsehair brush, buffing with cotton t-shirt, buffing with horsehair brush, back to applying polish and all the buffing again. Yes, it was a lot of work, but you can hardly tell that anything happened.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Agreed: Return.
Another vote on return. No excuse for new firsts to be delivered like that.

If you keep them, the scratch looks like it can be buffed out. Start with creme. Then cover with wax. Might take 5 - 6 iterations. Where the scratch is, few will notice.
Just to elaborate/clarify, and put in my 2 cents, I would only use creme (perhaps a few shades as well) until the color coverup was to your liking. Only then would I consider moving to wax.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I would bring them back, no question about it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.