Men's Clothing Forums banner
461 - 480 of 485 Posts

·
Registered
27,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #463 ·
Do not be fooled by the humble surroundings and unpretentious manner of the cobbler. There are simple, well done resoles, and there is using this need to create a masterpiece. Watch patiently, and your patience will be rewarded.

·
Registered
27,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
A magnificent video which shows you the entire process of a Japanese master cordwainer making a pair of wild boar hide boots from start to finish. Should you not wish to watch the entire process, I suggest fast-forwarding to last few minutes to watch the final touches and admire the finished product.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
A magnificent video which shows you the entire process of a Japanese master cordwainer making a pair of wild boar hide boots from start to finish. Should you not wish to watch the entire process, I suggest fast-forwarding to last few minutes to watch the final touches and admire the finished product.

It's astonishing! Thanks for posting this video, Flanders. I watched the entire show. I think Japanese cordwainers are the equal of any in the world, just as fine as Laszlo Vass or John Lobb. The painstaking attention to detail, and the exquisite hand tools used by the shoemaker impressed me no end. In a time when fine craftsmen are disappearing and not being replaced fast enough, it is refreshing to note that there are still a few who continue the tradition of work and craft established by the fine artisans of old.

·
Registered
27,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 ·
It's astonishing! Thanks for posting this video, Flanders. I watched the entire show. I think Japanese cordwainers are the equal of any in the world, just as fine as Laszlo Vass or John Lobb. The painstaking attention to detail, and the exquisite hand tools used by the shoemaker impressed me no end. In a time when fine craftsmen are disappearing and not being replaced fast enough, it is refreshing to note that there are still a few who continue the tradition of work and craft established by the fine artisans of old.
IMO, as fine as Vass or Lobb are the top Japanese artisan makers surpass both.

Were the choice mine, I would be looking for a different tailor! Just saying...... ;)
:D :D :D

461 - 480 of 485 Posts