Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Can we be not too far away from a world in which artificial intelligence (or human clones with artificial brains) can produce bespoke clothing in a manner identical to that used currently by human tailors, complete with built in "individualistic" deviations in details that one sees now in bespoke clothing (like the handsewn buttonholes, for instance, that are never quite identical)? A brave new world of bespoke machine tailors!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hmm . . , hmm . . , hmm . . . ? :icon_scratch:

NAH! :p

;)
All right, Flanders, we'll just leave you a bunch of old-fashioned human tailors, while the rest of humanity presses on toward the new world, brave or not, of AI-tailored garments. LOL.

On another note, if cars have computers in them, why not suits? We could have them control the warmth of a garment, adjusting its temperature to a comfortable level, no matter what the ambient temperature might be. This is a long-held dream of mine -- personal heating and cooling for clothing -- HVAC for suits, in short.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Interesting information, insofar as I could make out what was being conveyed.

Something I really don't understand about the production of this and many other short videos: Why is there a need for the continuous and often loud or intrusive music that accompanies the voice that provides information? If anything, the music interferes with the clarity and audibility of what is being said. This is especially evident in a video like this one where the speaker has a relatively pronounced accent, is speaking quite fast in a low voice, and is providing a fair bit of information in a short period of time along with the visuals. The music adds nothing at all to the information provided. In fact, it interferes with the perception of what is being provided.

The indiscriminate use of music in all sorts of situations -- social, educational, even interpersonal -- appears to be something we have slid into automatically as a society over the decades. Perhaps it started out as an attempt to seem sophisticated or to provide some sort of atmosphere or ambiance which conveyed elegance. I frequently hear loud music, often dictated by some person's individual taste, in restaurants, shops, gyms, and all sorts of other places that are public or semi-public. It leads me to suspect that one of the most valuable qualities of our lives, the presence of silence, is so undervalued that people feel a compulsive need to fill that silence with music (or often what seems to be a kind of organized cacophony).

I love music, but I much prefer to listen to my own selections of it with undivided attention, not as an afterthought dictated by someone else's taste, or as an unwanted background to something else I am doing with concentration or attention. I've studied attention in the laboratory as a cognitive psychologist for close to forty years, and I can assure you that attention to multiple sources is never 100% effective. There is no such thng as 100% effective dual-tasking, let alone multi-tasking, where one or more tasks do not suffer a performance deficit. Why not give music its due, and other tasks you are performing their due?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
A magnificent video which shows you the entire process of a Japanese master cordwainer making a pair of wild boar hide boots from start to finish. Should you not wish to watch the entire process, I suggest fast-forwarding to last few minutes to watch the final touches and admire the finished product.

It's astonishing! Thanks for posting this video, Flanders. I watched the entire show. I think Japanese cordwainers are the equal of any in the world, just as fine as Laszlo Vass or John Lobb. The painstaking attention to detail, and the exquisite hand tools used by the shoemaker impressed me no end. In a time when fine craftsmen are disappearing and not being replaced fast enough, it is refreshing to note that there are still a few who continue the tradition of work and craft established by the fine artisans of old.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts