Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
13,646 Posts
Ah, but it's so refreshing when coupled with knowledgeable, intelligent commentary. They have a few bellowing buffoons, but fortunately they're still in the minority. Even Paulie Malignaggi, former 2 weight world champion, AKA Brooklyn Paulie bane of Bensonhurst, is impressively intelligent and articulate, as well as having modeled for clothing ads in Esquire.

Here he is in his bespoke suit from Steed Tailors (Though I'll have to talk to him about that last vest button. ;)) -

Two thoughts, one, you're on your own if you want to criticize a world boxing champion to his face about his vest button :))), but, two, if you do survive, please suggest to him that he pulls up his tie so that the shirt collar doesn't show over it.

I really like the overall feel of the suit on him.

· Registered
13,646 Posts
You really think he's "pulling it off"? Looks to me like he's having fun in an ill-fitting costume. Ali certainly had a fine physique, but he was never really "ripped" (at least in the bodybuilding sense of the term).
I agree - I think it only "works" as a costume or an over-the-top affected look. He's Ali and has the personality and presence to pull it off, but on a pure tailoring / proportions basis, it looks awkward and off to me.

· Registered
13,646 Posts
That's the reason I called it out - the jacket is pulling a bit and the quarters are open. You start getting granular and you realize that it is a bit tight. But by "modern" standards it looks pretty normal. I didn't live in the 60s but clearly there was a skinny suit phase then also. The fact that at first glance Ali looks pretty decent may be just that it's Ali, or it may be that someone who's fit and lean can do better in that fit. Regardless, he looks pretty decent for a skinny fit.
The '60s skinny you reference was different from today's skinny in that, yes, the lapels and ties were skinny, the sleeve and trouser circumferences smaller and the armholes higher than before, but the overall proportions of the suit jacket and trouser were still classic in length, rise and they weren't tailored particularly tight to the body.

Suit trousers Coat Tie Sleeve Dress shirt

· Registered
13,646 Posts
...Funny though, they routinely knew when a collar needed to be lowered, and how to do it properly, which is something that seems to elude many contemporary retailers.
99% of my suit jackets and sport coat need this and you are spot on - a few decades ago, it was something a tailor marked up without you asking, now, sometimes, I almost have to arm twist them into doing it.

· Registered
13,646 Posts
As long as they don't botch the job! It's amazing how many of the so-called tailors they have doing alterations, don't do it right. My understanding is the collar needs to be removed, the extra cloth taken from the to of the back and the top recut, and then resewn to the collar. I've seen too many that have been butchered.
Agreed. I use two types of tailors. The "okay" ones who can shorten a sleeve (but not move buttons), hem a trouser leg (of a chino, but not necessarily a high-end dress pants), etc, (even though, they'll tell you they can do everything - they can't) and the professionals that can really tailor a garment - take in the waist (and taper it through the seat), lower a collar, etc.

At least in NYC, there are both and, as you note, it is important to know who is working on your clothes or they will butcher them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.