Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have an emotional connection to clothes and men's fashion in general. It is beyond just that "I like to look nice"

If I'm feeling down about something, a picture of an amazing suit in a magazine or a catalog will make me forget everything for a few minutes and inspire and uplift me.

I wonder if others feel this way too.

I know it happens with women, but I'm a straight guy and this seems unusual lol

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I seem to have an emotional connection to clothes and men's fashion in general. It is beyond just that "I like to look nice"

If I'm feeling down about something, a picture of an amazing suit in a magazine or a catalog will make me forget everything for a few minutes and inspire and uplift me.

It would only seem strange for a straight guy to feel this way if they found themselves attracted to the person in the amazing suit. Unless it's Marlene Dietrich. :p

Nice clothes - nice material, beautiful tailoring, and an excellent fit - make one look better. Presenting a more attractive appearance to the workd does make one feel better. I'm guessing that not only do you get a lift from looking at nice clothes, but you sometimes go out somewhere dressy as a way to cheer yourself up, too. I know I do - putting on a nice sportcoat and heading to the bar at a five-star hotel, even for just one drink and some free cashews, is a big boost to my spirits.

·
Registered
356 Posts
To me clothing is another art form (and I'm not in art school). The same emotional reactions I can get from a wonderful painting I can get from a wonderful suit, it's colors, shapes, designs, and masterful work all combined to express something.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

I relate to what you are saying. And although I am gay, actually, and my response to a picture can have a little added kick because of that, still, I suspect my general response to seeing, owning, and wearing nice clothes is just the same as yours.

During the past couple of years, with my midlife crisis coinciding with personal setbacks that brought on a serious depression, and the world going nuts as well, clothing has been few of the few things I could count on to gladden my heart. (The others are the life of the mind -- arts, history, philosophy -- with all the related books, DVDs, CDs, paintings; my cat, a Birman; driving, even with the price of gas; good beer and spirits.)

So I am more grateful to my sartorial hobby than ever -- it helped me get through some dark times and lifted the load.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I relate to what you are saying. And although I am gay, actually, and my response to a picture can have a little added kick becausae of that, still, I suspect my general response to seeing, owning, and wearing nice clothes is just the same as yours.

During the past couple of years, with my midlife crisis coinciding with personal setbacks that brought on a serious depression, and the world going nuts as well, clothing has been few of the few things I could count on to gladden my heart. (The others are the life of the mind -- arts, history, philosophy -- with all the related books, DVDs, CDs, paintings; my cat, a Birman; driving, even with the price of gas; good beer and spirits.)

So I am more grateful to my sartorial hobby than ever -- it helped me get through some dark times and lifted the load.
Well said

:)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hey, LoneSuit! Good to see you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.