Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hello all,

In several threads, people have mentioned Samuelsohn as their go-to for MTM. I was wondering, where do I get their MTM in Chicago?

Thanks.
I'd like to add to this: I know it has been written here before, but can someone also please give a quick overview of the two different Sammy "MTM" programs. Its my understanding that they sell two different custom -order lines. One of these lines accounts for posture irregularities and allows for such changes as a different armhole size. The other merely allows you to pick a fabric, stock cut and size, and detail the suit as you wish (venting, pockets, peak/notch, etc.) Is this correct?

Thanks again and sorry to dig up an old issue - I just can't seem to find a definitive, consolidated answer.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'd like to add to this: I know it has been written here before, but can someone also please give a quick overview of the two different Sammy "MTM" programs. Its my understanding that they sell two different custom -order lines. One of these lines accounts for posture irregularities and allows for such changes as a different armhole size. The other merely allows you to pick a fabric, stock cut and size, and detail the suit as you wish (venting, pockets, peak/notch, etc.) Is this correct?

Thanks again and sorry to dig up an old issue - I just can't seem to find a definitive, consolidated answer.
My Samuelsohn MTM experience has been thusly: Start with your size jacket, a trained sales associate takes critical measurements so adjustments can be made to make the jacket a better fit. Trousers have choices as to fit, too. Samuelsohn offers four silhouettes (I think there are only four), so armhole height and shoulder width and design vary accordingly. Pick your fabric, I believe MTM starts around $1100 - $1200 for a suit. My last MTM was in 2006, a navy blazer, and it cost about $950.00 My last MTM suit was done in 2004 and the cost with a "B" range fabric was $1250.

Samuelsohn also offers special orders, which is just having any one of the four silhouttes made in your choice of fabric, and you can choose surgeon cuffs and vent style. That upcharge was $100 from a stock order.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Samuelsohn MTM experience has been thusly: Start with your size jacket, a trained sales associate takes critical measurements so adjustments can be made to make the jacket a better fit. Trousers have choices as to fit, too. Samuelsohn offers four silhouettes (I think there are only four), so armhole height and shoulder width and design vary accordingly. Pick your fabric, I believe MTM starts around $1100 - $1200 for a suit. My last MTM was in 2006, a navy blazer, and it cost about $950.00 My last MTM suit was done in 2004 and the cost with a "B" range fabric was $1250.

Samuelsohn also offers special orders, which is just having any one of the four silhouttes made in your choice of fabric, and you can choose surgeon cuffs and vent style. That upcharge was $100 from a stock order.
Hmm, that doesn't sound very good. I have very large arms for my chest size (19" biceps). And, from your explanation, it doesn't sound like it would be accomodated very well.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
^

Agreed. This doesn't sound goo to me either. You should be able to get things like any size armhole or any shoulder on any silhouette you choose. I expected much more flexibility - if this is all the better they can do I won't be using Sammy for MTM.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Does Hickey Freeman allow such changes? They are moderately higher in price point.

I am not in the business; but from my 26 years of owning only fully canvassed suits, Samuelsohn makes a fine suit. They are almost indistinguishable in craftsmanship as compared to HF. You owe it to yourselves to investigate a retailer who does a lot with Samuelsohn.

Shopping is part of the fun of this whole interest. Who hasn't tried on an Oxxford knowing full well they have no intention of dropping $3K on a suit? Similarly, I have tried on EG shoes at close to a grand. I think they are overpriced, yet very elegant, but not what I would consider a worthy spend.

I don't see how one can rule out something unless they have tried it. That is why I don't wear fused suits. I haven't since I graduated from college 26 years ago.

Don't form a negative opinion on my experience only. My arms are spindly in comparison; however, when I wear my Samuelsohn's I feel like a million bucks and I get noticed by the fairer sex.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Does Hickey Freeman allow such changes? They are moderately higher in price point.

I don't see how one can rule out something unless they have tried it. Don't form a negative opinion on my experience only.
I'm not entirely sure about the H-F MTM program's flexibility. I do know that you can get a similar level of quality with the flexibility I'm after. English American Clothiers offers this sort of thing. And I'm not ruling Sammy out at all; on the contrary. I've tried an OTR Sammy on and found it to be very very nice. It just didn't fit perfectly so I'm inquiring as to whether it can be made to fit perfectly.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Purely as an example of what most makers who do MTM offer in terms of flexibility, here is an example of one company's MTM form. Most makers also offer a quick order service which has less options but is cheaper than MTM. The best way to get accurate information about what any given maker will offer is to visit a retailer.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
^

Thats what I'm talking about! Lots of real posture and fit options. Who's order form is this?

·
Registered
163 Posts
^

Thats what I'm talking about! Lots of real posture and fit options. Who's order form is this?
All MTM programs will offer similar options for fit, though details may vary. Contact your retailer for specifics.

If the salesperson is not able to recognize a stooping or erect posture, for example, you are no further ahead so the skill of the salesperson or tailor is key to getting good fit. If in doubt, wait for a trunk show where representatives of the various companies will be present.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I agree that all MTM programs should offer these options - the one I've been using certainly does. I feel that the problem lies in semantics many times though; I can't tell you how many times I've been to investigate a "MTM" program that turned out to be nothing more than a "pick your stock sizes, fabric, venting, and pleats" program. And then the salesmen look at you like your too picky b/c that won't cut it...

Its false advertising IMO...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree that all MTM programs should offer these options - the one I've been using certainly does. I feel that the problem lies in semantics many times though; I can't tell you how many times I've been to investigate a "MTM" program that turned out to be nothing more than a "pick your stock sizes, fabric, venting, and pleats" program. And then the salesmen look at you like your too picky b/c that won't cut it...

Its false advertising IMO...
That would be annoying. Of the makers who do MTM, I don't know of any who only offer what you described, however it may be the retailer who chooses to do so. Perhaps not all are comfortable fitting their customers (which was traditionally the job of the cutter) or just couldn't be bothered. It pays to frequent reputable retailers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Anyone can be fit using Samuelsohn's MTM program. They have plenty of models to choose from and any adjustment that is necessary can be made. Pictures can even be taken and sent to Paul (their master tailor) if the salesman taking measurements is not sure how to correct a problem. The only caveat is that any MTM program is only as good as the one who fills in the order form. I have had tremendous success fitting even my pickiest customers using Samuelsohn. I highly recommend working off of their Greenwich or Graf models. If you need a Spring/Summer sportcoat, look at some of their A range wool/cotton blends on the tan cards and do it in the Talbot model. FYI, Paul Stuart associates should be very well trained considering that Paul Stuart was the first store in the United States to carry Samuelsohn (private label, of course).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Samuelsohn models vary greatly in silhouettes. A Greenwich is a "natural shoulder", while the Alton has a more builtup and narrow shoulder (more like an HF Madison). The Austin model is more like HF's Boardroom, and the Como is a more extended shoulder.

I have no suit experience with Paul Stuart, and I would venture to guess that they are more inclined to sell you what they have in stock. Also, as they are a very pricey outfit, who knows what their MTM opening pricepoint is.

jeffreyd said it, too, find a local retailer who sells Samuelsohn as one of their main lines. That can't be too hard in a major metropolitan city. I live in Charlotte, NC and we have two retailers well versed in Samuelsohn.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Is it possible to have Sammy MTM directly from the factory? Do they have a little store there as some factories do?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.