Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is usual cost of Samuelsohn MTM suit? Is the choice of fabric a factor? I bought two of their sport coats-excellent fit and fabrics-several years ago, but I had not been to one of their trunk shows and had the opportunity to do so today. I priced a suit, Greenwich model, in a beautiful 110 wool (Italian, I think) grey glen plaid with blue windowpane. Cost was $2000 less "trunk sale discount" of $300 = $1700. Is this consistent with AAAC experience?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I buy Samualsohn MTM from Carroll & Co. during their trunk shows which are held twice a year. The pricing with a selection from 200 different fabrics is $1,085 (up $100 from the prior year) for a jacket and I think trousers and a vest are each about $350.

I don't know how much of a discount this is on the jacket, and I am sure the cost could increase substantially with more expensive fabric, but I have always found something I wanted without looking at more expensive cloth.

I have been most happy with my suits and sport coats from Samualsohn and they have most accommodating about the trad details that I have asked for such as lapped seams, 1/4 inch stitching, and a hooked center vent. I switched from Hickey Freeman MTM to Samualsohn MTM a few years ago because HF would no longer do a hooked center vent for me.

At Carroll's all of the folks are helpful, but I do business with "JB" and have been very happy with his service, knowledge, and taste. In this day, it is refreshing to purchase goods from someone who knows more about the items than I do.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Price sounds high to me, unless the fabric is well above an A or B grade at that price. Three years ago I bought an MTM navy blazer for just under $1000: A range diamond weave worsted wool, side vients, surgeon cuffs, pick stitching on lapels and pocket flaps.
Five years ago an A range MTM suit was $1200. The dollar is strong against the Canadian dollar.

You may not be able to competitively shop this, unless you know another Samuelsohn retailer nearby.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your help - the fabric is a D, which I chose because the design/color was exactly what I was looking for. This is the only Samuelsohn dealer in our area, and I called the nearest one, who is a two hour drive away, and his ball park estimate was the same. My shop also threw in a Robert Talbott tie at no charge ( a lagniappe he does with every Sammy MTM), and he also is the only local rep for Alden shoes and has been very helpful in fitting/ordering those for me. Finally, it's not always about cost for me - we are a small town and I believe in supporting our local businesses anytime I can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.